Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Engine turns over but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 07:37 PM
solidGas
1st Gear Member

Default Engine turns over but won't start

Hey,

This is the first time I haven't been able to start my Mustang, and I feel pretty dumb, it usally starts right up. I am a little green when it comes to engines so any help would be appreciated.

I am trying to start the Mustang up and it will turn over but it wont start. What should be the first thing I should look at?

I have a 289, stock 4100 carb, and my distributor has points, but they look new to me. I am also at work and only have a screwdriver and a crescent wrench.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:53 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Engine turns over but won't start

The first thing I would check would be to make sure the coil wire is all the way into the coil and the dizzy. When my son was a senior in high school he was to big to spank, so if he screwed up, I would just take his coil wire. He got tired of walking to school, so didn't screw up any more.
Then check your points if you still have them to make sure they are not burned.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:56 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

First thing I would check is for a choke that is stuck closed. The flap on top of the carb should be slightly open. If its not, on a warm day the car WILL NOT start and flood really bad. Its actually a really simple fix, take off your air cleaner, use a pen to open that flap up (you might have to leave the pen in the carb while youre trying to start it). Then simply hold the pedal to the floor and crank it up.
-P.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:05 PM
solidGas
1st Gear Member

Ok, I will check the coil and the points and also look at the carb's choke. I have to wait a couple hours till most people leave the office building, I am parked right in front. Kinda embarrassing having to get under the hood in front of all the other business owners in the complex.

Is there anything else I should look for, while I am out there?
Old 05-11-2007, 08:19 PM
Mustangdemon67
4th Gear Member

if not the points it may be the condensor, or ignition wiring.
unplug the wire from the top of the coil and have someone hold it over something metal, and then try to start it and see if there is a spark, if not then its your points or condensor. that spark test is too see if your geting power relayed from the distributor.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:27 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Look down the venturi of the carb and manually work the throttle to see if you are getting gas squirted into the carb. Look at your gas gauge. Is it on E?
Old 05-11-2007, 09:07 PM
hellion_79
5th Gear Member

ignition switch could be out. To check, take a *screwdriver* and connect the positive connection to the upper starter connection. If you did this right the motor will turn over and make sure your key is turned all the way before you get into the starting the car and then try the solonoid trick. If you cant find it, the positive *red* wire from the battery should lead right to it. Tell me what happened after you tried this.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:30 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: hellion_79

ignition switch could be out. To check, take a *screwdriver* and connect the positive connection to the upper starter connection. If you did this right the motor will turn over and make sure your key is turned all the way before you get into the starting the car and then try the solonoid trick. If you cant find it, the positive *red* wire from the battery should lead right to it. Tell me what happened after you tried this.
Hey fruitcake, do you mean to short across the solenoid with the key in the on position to see if the solenoid is bad? The engine is turning over so that can't possibly be the problem. Go back to sleep.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:41 PM
hellion_79
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Soaring

ORIGINAL: hellion_79

Hey fruitcake, do you mean to short across the solenoid with the key in the on position to see if the solenoid is bad? The engine is turning over so that can't possibly be the problem. Go back to sleep.
Yah I know that[8D]But my car when I turned the key it would turn over but wouldnt start, but when I touched the connections it fires right up which mean....... my ignition switch was bad or shorted out. After I replaced it, that problem went away.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:57 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

The connections where? Are you talking about hot wiring where you route around the ignition switch?

Quick Reply: Engine turns over but won't start