Go Back  MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > Classic Mustangs (Tech)
Reload this Page >

Whats the trick to removing the headlight switch, wiper switch, ignition switch, etc

Notices
Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Whats the trick to removing the headlight switch, wiper switch, ignition switch, etc

Old 06-03-2007, 01:35 AM
65Raven65
3rd Gear Member

Default Whats the trick to removing the headlight switch, wiper switch, ignition switch, etc

I'm stripping my '65 to get it ready for sodablasting. I got everything out from under the dash (wiring, pedals, wiper assymbly, heater components, glove box, etc) but cant seem to figure out the trick to get the headlight switch, wiper switch, ignition switch, and the lighter out.

What am I missing?

Thanks

[align=left] [/align]
Old 06-03-2007, 01:38 AM
jaw66
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Whats the trick to removing the headlight switch, wiper switch, ignition switch, etc

The bezel on the outside of the dash should unscrew or maybe a retaining nut on the backside. It has been awhile since I have taken one apart..
Old 06-03-2007, 01:40 AM
colostang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Whats the trick to removing the headlight switch, wiper switch, ignition switch, etc

The wiper **** is held on with a tiny hex head set screw in the bottom of the ****. After removing the **** you can use a flat head screw driver to rotate the entire bezel and unscrew it (if it isn't too tight, if so you may need a specialty tool to grip and turn it). The lighter is held on buy a bracket from behind and you can unscrew it in the same way (again, hopefully it isn't too tight for the old flat head). I assume the headlight is same as wiper but I have never removed mine. The ignition would be a question for someone else.

Hope that helps a little.
Old 06-03-2007, 02:33 AM
65Raven65
3rd Gear Member

Thanks. I'll give it a try tomorrow.
[align=left] [/align]
Old 06-03-2007, 02:34 AM
66GTKFB
5th Gear Member

Ignition switch:
1.Instrument cluster needs to be out.
To remove the key part - you need a paper clip and the key in the slot.
2. Push in on the paper clip size hole and turn to the left - remove.
3. Pull the entire assembly forward and twist the switch part clockwise to remove it from the bezel. There's a 'cup' with a hole in it and a spring at the switch.
4. It should be out.
Jim
Old 06-03-2007, 02:36 AM
65Raven65
3rd Gear Member

The instruments are out. Thanks also, 66GTKFB, I'll try that tomorrow too.
[align=left] [/align]
Old 06-03-2007, 03:53 AM
hity645
2nd Gear Member

I got to:

Sawzall
Old 06-03-2007, 09:39 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 66GTKFB

Ignition switch:
1.Instrument cluster needs to be out.
To remove the key part - you need a paper clip and the key in the slot.
2. Push in on the paper clip size hole and turn to the left - remove.
3. Pull the entire assembly forward and twist the switch part clockwise to remove it from the bezel. There's a 'cup' with a hole in it and a spring at the switch.
4. It should be out.
Jim
"2. Push in on the paper clip size hole and turn to the left - remove."

Say what?? That doesn't even make sense Jim. You turn the key to the accessory position, then insert the paper clip into the hole and pop out the cylinder.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:15 AM
ponyx2
2nd Gear Member

The paperclip in the hole only removes the lock cylinder, the switch itself is held on by the bezel, which unscrews.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:31 AM
66 Restomod
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Soaring

.... You turn the key to the accessory position, then insert the paper clip into the hole and pop out the cylinder.
Between inserting the paper clip into the hole and popping out the cylinder, you need to turn the key which is already inserted and at the Acc position further to the left, which lets the cylinder unseat from the switch.

Somebody needs to make a short video on how to remove each of these bezels and switches and post on YouTube once and for all....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Whats the trick to removing the headlight switch, wiper switch, ignition switch, etc

Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.