Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

any thoughts on my mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 12:58 PM
0zenon0

Default any thoughts on my mustang?

Hello everyone, I have been a long time lurker here but haven't posted too much.

I took over the family Mustang ('66 convertible) from my dad a few years ago. It needed a lot fo work so i have decided to get most of it done this winter. I only really drive the car on weekends, from May through October. I am haveing the engine rebuilt and the car painted. I also installed the super suspension kit from Laurel Mustang. I may have the front brakes converted to disc. I don't really care if the car is original or not, nor do I want it to be very high-preformance. I just want it to be fun to drive, relatively reliable, safe, and to last me till I can give it to my son.

For anyone who is interested, I have put some photos of the progress so far here at this album
(let me know if the link doesn't work)

I have a few questions for you guys:

Firs of all, the paint was originally the burgundy colour but it was subsequently repainted a different shade of burgundy. I think it was a Chrysler paint. Although I want to keep this burgundy, I am open to painting it a slightly different shade. Does anyone know a good website or other resource where I can look at some sample colours?

Secondly, the car was always missing some emblems (such as the mustang emblems on the front fenders). There doesn't seem to be any holes in the sheet metal so how do I know where to put all the emblems once the paint is done? Is there a template or measurements somewhere?

Finally, over the past year or so I have been amazed at the wealth of knowledge and experience preento n this board. If anyone has any thoughts or advice concerning my car, please don't hesistate.

Zen
Old 02-16-2006, 01:13 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: any thoughts on my mustang?

First, decifer the VIN to see exactly what the car started out as. The fenders could have been replaced, and the holes for the badges not drilled. I am not aware of a template to determine the exact location of the badges, but once you figure out what the VIN tells you, we can make some measurements to give you a pretty good idea of the where the badges are to be located. You say you want to keep the car for a long time. If so, then first consider replacing the floor pans and check those frame rails carefully to determine how much damage the rust has caused. Pour some water down the cowl vent to see if the cowl is leaking. If it is, then you might want to consider replacing it. Go ahead and put disk brakes at least on the front. And, consider the Lincoln Versailles rear disk swap. Also, consider a 3 point safety belt installation.
After these safety issues are met, then it will be time to start working on the mechanical aspects such as overhauling the engine, tranny, etc. Then you might want to start with the cosmetic aspects such as interior upgrade and paint.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:56 PM
0zenon0

Should have mentioned the VIN: 6F08C104750
Which I understand implies this:
6 1966
F Dearborn, Michigan
8 Convertible
C V8 289 CID 2V
104750 Unit Number

How would I know if the fender has been replaced? Is the VIN on each body panel? Hadn't thought about the cowl before, I'll check that out.
Old 02-16-2006, 02:18 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

The outer fender won't have a VIN on it. The inner fender on the driver's side near the shock tower will have the VIN, but that will correspond with the VIN on the door and on the registration papers. It could have been new fenders put on it, or a good job of filling in the holes where the badges go. Here are a few pics of where the badges go. If you like, I can do some measurements.

Old 02-21-2006, 12:24 PM
65GTin GA
2nd Gear Member

There are templates available if you want to get it right - most Mustang parts suppliers have them. Just browse the catalogs, you'll come across them. It is a paper template with all the alignments and hole positions marked, takes the guess work out of it. Also includes (for GT cars) the GT emblem template, stripes and lettering. Worth the couple dollars. I still have the stripes and letters to do, so it will earn it's cost.

[IMG]local://upfiles/3913/F1E86B0E7D7F48DA9F232BFE071F7B0C.jpg[/IMG]
Old 03-09-2006, 03:45 PM
0zenon0

Well my mechanic has disassembled the engine and apparently it has already been rebuilt a few times. The pistons have “.03†imprinted on them and I am told they can’t be bored out any more without risk of overheating the engine. So now what are my options?

Do I need to finds myself a new 289 block somewhere? I have been searching scrap yards with no luck so far. Where else can I get one?

Someone mentioned to me something about putting a “sleeve†in the cylinder or something like that. I did not understand completely what he was saying but it didn’t sound good.

Any thoughts are much appreciated.

Zen
Old 03-09-2006, 05:48 PM
65turbo289

sleeving a block basically bores it out more then it is, and a metal, usually steel i think, is put in place to bring it back to original size bores. its not a BAD thing, but not preffered compared to a gently used block that has life left.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:52 PM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

Last edited by Scott H.; 01-15-2010 at 10:59 PM.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:10 AM
pfitz73

Im restoring a 1966 GT and need a template or measurements for the placement of the m u s t a n g letter emblems on the front fender. if anyone can help me out, please let me know! thanks alot
Old 06-06-2007, 02:58 PM
66GTKFB
5th Gear Member

Go to this article from Mustang Monthly for info on the emblems -
http://www.mustangmonthly.com/howto/20359/photo_20.html
Jim
And subscribe to Mustang Monthly!

Quick Reply: any thoughts on my mustang?