Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

What's the cubic inches on a .030 over 289?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 06:24 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Default RE: What the cubic inches on a .30 over 289?

ORIGINAL: Soaring

Thanks James.....that sounds about right. You'd be surprised at what some guys will do to their engines to gain 4.5 horsepower.
Yea it is crazy, I never bore an engine that dosen't need to be bored, I guess if I were running Nascar or somthing, 4.5 horsepower might make a difference, but for a street car? I don't think so!!

I have a 1970 396 (really a 402) in my garage, it still has a stock bore, It was not easy finding off the shelf standardpistons for an engine of this vintage, and limited production.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:57 PM
65Raven65
3rd Gear Member

I love these responses suggesting I should have known what the bore and stroke is on a 289, and that I should automatically know the formula to figure out displacement. If I knew, I wouldn't be asking. I thought this was a dicussion board, for questions and answers.

Thanks to those who gave a respectful answer. And no, I don't care about the added horsepower, I was just curious. I come from the Chevy school of rebuilding. (rebuilding a 350? Make it a 355 for the heck of it!)

[align=left] [/align]
Old 06-20-2007, 08:03 PM
65Raven65
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: highhilleer

Well there's a couple of things going on here.
First, it doesn't matter what the displacement is if you bore the engine .3 over because youhave ruined the block!! Boring is done in hundredths of an inchso the question should be about boring 0.030". That extra zero between the decimal point and the 3 makes a big difference.

*rolls eyes*

You knew what I meant
Old 06-20-2007, 08:09 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 65Raven65

I love these responses suggesting I should have known what the bore and stroke is on a 289, and that I should automatically know the formula to figure out displacement. If I knew, I wouldn't be asking. I thought this was a dicussion board, for questions and answers.

Thanks to those who gave a respectful answer. And no, I don't care about the added horsepower, I was just curious. I come from the Chevy school of rebuilding. (rebuilding a 350? Make it a 355 for the heck of it!)

[align=left][/align]
Just sit back and let us work. You will eventually get the answer you are looking for. Have fun watching us trip over our tongues.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:18 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

[align=left][/align]
If my posts offended you in any way I apologize, it was not my intent to be condescending or a smart *** in any way shape or form, it did not even occur to me that my posts would sound this way to anyone.

I think I was more into showing of my computerdisplacement application than anything else, and then I just followed the conversation. I intended no disrespect whatsoever....

And,, BTW, the Ford stuff is new to me as well. (and yes, a .030 overbore is not an issue with most SBC)

James,
Old 06-20-2007, 09:24 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

65 Raven......we most likely have the most intelligent tech guys on here than any other classic Mustang site. My suggestion, and this is a suggestion that I give everybody, is that you do some research on your own by hitting google and going to the search feature on this forum before you ask aquestion on the forum so that you are well informed ahead of time about all the nomenclature of part names, etc. Once you get into the ballpark of what you are asking but stilll have to clean up a few things, then come on here and ask your question. Understand that this site is run by volunteers, and all the answers you are getting are volunteered answers.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:32 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

It'd be a little more power due to the increase in the compression ratio. For a 289 with 54cc heads and a .039" head gasket height, zero deck height, and zero piston dish, the compression ratio from boring the engine from 4.000" to 4.030" would go from 10.528 to 10.652. Also forgotten, the actual bore of the engine will not be 4.030 inches, but something a tad bit more to accomodate the pistons. My 302 is borded out to 4.033 inches.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:33 PM
highhilleer
2nd Gear Member

First, it doesn't matter what the displacement is if you bore the engine .3 over because youhave ruined the block!! Boring is done in hundredths of an inchso the question should be about boring 0.030". That extra zero between the decimal point and the 3 makes a big difference.

*rolls eyes*

You knew what I meant
Gosh, I'm sorry that I lack the clairvouyant ability to properly identify your automotive knowledge when you ask such a basic question. Your mistake is a common one and I thought it may be beneficial to clarify the point, if not for your benefit, then for the benefit of a real newbie who may be reading the thread. Other common mistakes are asking about a V6 and a "posi" rearend in a classic mustang.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:54 PM
gothand
5th Gear Member

[align=left][/align]
Sorry Raven, we were just messing around ... at least a little bit. Seriously, I think some were just surprised that the math behind calculating the volume of a cylinder was not common knowledge, not that people haven't memorized the bore and stroke of a 289. Speaking for myself only, I sometimes forget that many people who don't use this stuff forget it if they don't use it ... kind of like I did with 4 semesters of Calculus. [sm=headbang.gif]
Old 06-20-2007, 11:43 PM
65Raven65
3rd Gear Member

*rolls eyes*

You knew what I meant
Gosh, I'm sorry that I lack the clairvouyant ability to properly identify your automotive knowledge when you ask such a basic question. Your mistake is a common one and I thought it may be beneficial to clarify the point, if not for your benefit, then for the benefit of a real newbie who may be reading the thread. Other common mistakes are asking about a V6 and a "posi" rearend in a classic mustang.
Its not the lack of "clairvouyant abilty" that was the problem. It was the condesending sarcasm.

Quick Reply: What's the cubic inches on a .030 over 289?