Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Plans for a Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 09:04 PM
YourBrainIsGod

Default RE: Plans for a Mustang

I couldn't find the same sight where I saw those but I found a sight with springs rated at 600, should work good.

http://www.aapd.net/classicmustang/d...ID=C5ZZ-5310-P

I'll continue to search for that site.

To mustangGTdude1031:

That's one of the things I keep thinking about, theres a few ricer kids around here and I think it would be hilarious to give them a little rev then when they rev back right before the light turns green giving it a hard rev. When they hear the thing growl like a demon from hell over their "tight" system they wouldn't know what they've gotten themselves into.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:24 PM
YourBrainIsGod

ORIGINAL: Soaring

ORIGINAL: YourBrainIsGod

I was planning to. I was looking at aftermarket springs and found a 620 and a 750 pound springs (I was planning to do the rear suspension as well). Which would you recommend? The engine will get full aluminum treatment to decrease as much weight from the front as possible. I'm not sure on the factory specs for the front suspension. Will the 620 work or should I shoot for the 750?

I was curious on any power upgrades I should consider looking into. Along with any other suspension upgrades to make it handle decently.
The main difficulty will be getting the 429 engine to fit the Mustang's engine compartment. To do so, the shock towers have to be relocated outward (by hand) and while you are at it, the suspension has to be lowered and moved further outwards 1 inch, using spindles and control arms unique to the 429. This makes the 429 handle much better than other big-block equipped Mustangs. Although a bit pricey, I would consider the coil over springs/shocks if I were you.
I've seen something similar to this in an online magazine article. They were putting a 460 Crate engine in a '69 Mach 1. I believe they cut the shock towers and welded them back together to fit the engine in.

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2001/06/project460/
Old 01-13-2005, 11:43 PM
bob emmerich
2nd Gear Member

There shouldn't be much trouble fitting a 429 in a 69, but it will be tight. Make sure the suspension and brakes are up to snuff for the engine(750 springs up front and disc brakes all around). Good luck with it.
Old 01-14-2005, 02:25 AM
YourBrainIsGod

I want a manual transmission, are there any good ones that will fit into a classic mustang apart from the one they were given stock?
Old 01-14-2005, 06:26 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: YourBrainIsGod

I want a manual transmission, are there any good ones that will fit into a classic mustang apart from the one they were given stock?
That old top loader 4 speed is about the strongest tranny you can get for the old engines. If you want to upgrade to the tremec trannys, then get a butt load of money in the bank first. If I were to upgrade my 65, it would be with the 6 speed.
Old 01-16-2005, 03:57 AM
YourBrainIsGod

ORIGINAL: Soaring

That old top loader 4 speed is about the strongest tranny you can get for the old engines. If you want to upgrade to the tremec trannys, then get a butt load of money in the bank first. If I were to upgrade my 65, it would be with the 6 speed.
Does the top loader 4 speed strong enough for the power of the engine I'm building?

Or even the 6 speed?

Forgot to ask. Is the tremec T-56 the same for all the applications, like how they are used in both Ford and Chevy cars?