MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   Classic Mustangs (Tech) (https://mustangforums.com/forum/classic-mustangs-tech-16/)
-   -   1967 Long Shaft Steering Box Removal (https://mustangforums.com/forum/classic-mustangs-tech/322435-1967-long-shaft-steering-box-removal.html)

Cargon 07-25-2007 02:40 PM

1967 Long Shaft Steering Box Removal

I've been working on my 67 fastback for almost 4 years now and all the little things are finally coming together.

My next project is going to be replacing the manual long shaft steering box. I have about 3" of play and I've read the FAQ link and have a good idea of what needs to be done, but I had a few questions. Any help would be appreciated.

First:
Is the steering column connected to the steering box at all? Or is it just seated against it?

Second:
In the FAQ walkthrough it said that removing the driver side engine mount would be necessary, but didn't go into detail on how to do that. While removing the mount, does the engine need to be supported? If so, where is the best place? Does the car need to be jacked up by the rails, or can I drive it up some ramps?

Any insight or personal experience would help tremendously.

Edit: This was the Flaming River box I was going to buy.
http://mustangunlimited.com/itemdy01...atKey=EMUSTANG

66GTKFB 07-25-2007 02:47 PM

RE: 1967 Long Shaft Steering Box Removal

The term 'long shaft' means just that - it'slong and it cannot be separated.
To remove the box, it's a whole bunch easier without an engine in the way. The method you want to try and what youquestioned aboutthe engine mountsleaves me to say - pull the engine.
Jim

Cargon 07-25-2007 02:56 PM

I understand the shaft inside the column is connected to the box, but I'm referring to the column itself.

I know removing the box without the engine in is easier, but frankly I don't have the experience or tools to do that and was wondering if anyone has done something similar to what the FAQ suggested or ahs done it with the engine in the bay.

nassaubayman 07-25-2007 03:38 PM

I just did this project on my '67 Coupe. Part of my upgrade from manual to power steering was to replace the steering box. I went with original equipment parts from www.chockostang.com. The guy told me the only way to get the steering box out and around the shock tower is to have the motor up and out of the way. I pulled my motor, thinking not only would this make the steering upgrade much easier, but I can also re-gasket, paint, etc the motor. I think I've heard someone else say he was able to get the steering box out by jacking up his motor, but not completely removing it.

To get the steering box out,
1. remove the steering wheel. The shaft the wheel bolts to is connected to the steering box. It's going to slide out of the steering column.(that's why you need so much room in the engine bay to get it out)
2.Remove thetwonuts that connect the steering column to the dash.
Hint: Those two nut are on studs that screw into the dash. When I removed mine, the studs came out with the nuts. I had to take the instrument panel out in order to reinstall the studs.
Hint: There is a set of wires coming out of the steering column. Unplug the wires so that when you push and pull the column around, you won't be stretching the wires.
3.Separate pitman armfrom the tie rod. One crown nut and a hammer or ball joint tool takes care of this.
4. Remove the bolts (3 I think) that holds the steering box to the frame.
5. Slide the box and shaft out of the column.

Very Important: If you don't pull the motor, things are going to be tight. DO NOT FORCE your new shaft into the column. You will bend it.

Here's a picture of my pretty new steering box and power steering components.

[IMG]local://upfiles/64151/BB7C453A79B14357BBC273927033E456.jpg[/IMG]

66GTKFB 07-25-2007 04:05 PM

Trying to remove the steering box without removing the engine, you will wind up in a situation of being unable to remove the box without doing several things: removing the front cross bar; dropping the drag link; removing the left exhaust manifold; and if you have power steering . . I went thru this last year on a friend's 67 Fastback 289. We pulled the engine.
Jim

Soaring 07-25-2007 04:13 PM

There are no special tools you need to pull an engine. If you have a good set of sockets and ratchets along with screwdrivers, pliars, open and box end wrenchs etc. you have all it takes to pull an engine. It's either pull the engine, or drop the suspension. Just go rent an engine puller with 4 legs (not the 3 legged dangerous kind) and ask us how to do it.

nassaubayman 07-25-2007 04:29 PM

Before you go through the trouble - have you tried turning the adjuster on your steering box to see how much play you can get out of it?

Cargon 07-25-2007 05:09 PM

ORIGINAL: nassaubayman

Before you go through the trouble - have you tried turning the adjuster on your steering box to see how much play you can get out of it?
I've heard about the adjuster, but the slop in the steering wasn't the only issue. I want a box that will last a long time and decrease steering effort. But until I can manage to replace the box, this sounds like a good idea. How would I go about the adjusting (and where is it located)?

ORIGINAL: Soaring

There are no special tools you need to pull an engine. If you have a good set of sockets and ratchets along with screwdrivers, pliars, open and box end wrenchs etc. you have all it takes to pull an engine. It's either pull the engine, or drop the suspension. Just go rent an engine puller with 4 legs (not the 3 legged dangerous kind) and ask us how to do it.
I guess I'll have to pull the engine out eventually, although I've never done it and have no idea how they attach to the block. I read the FAQ on how to do it, but it sort of glossed over the process, one of the steps basically being; disconnect everything. The engine is a 289 cid with a C4 automatic transmission, I don't know how to separate the engine and tranny or if I have to do anything with the starter.

It just seems like a huge task, I'm used to being able to work in small bits. The added time constraint from renting an engine hoist and the idea of if I f[:@]ck up I'm boned intimidates me [&:]. If anyone knows of a more detailed step by step link for this I could really use it.

Soaring 07-25-2007 05:26 PM

ORIGINAL: Cargon

ORIGINAL: nassaubayman

I've heard about the adjuster, but the slop in the steering wasn't the only issue. I want a box that will last a long time and decrease steering effort. But until I can manage to replace the box, this sounds like a good idea. How would I go about the adjusting (and where is it located)?

ORIGINAL: Soaring

I guess I'll have to pull the engine out eventually, although I've never done it and have no idea how they attach to the block. I read the FAQ on how to do it, but it sort of glossed over the process, one of the steps basically being; disconnect everything. The engine is a 289 cid with a C4 automatic transmission, I don't know how to separate the engine and tranny or if I have to do anything with the starter.

It just seems like a huge task, I'm used to being able to work in small bits. The added time constraint from renting an engine hoist and the idea of if I f[:@]ck up I'm boned intimidates me [&:]. If anyone knows of a more detailed step by step link for this I could really use it.

I probably have the procedure for adjusting the steering box in the FAQ somewhere, but if you want to try tighntening up the old fella before you go through all the trouble of replacing it, just turn your steering wheel all the way to left, then unscrew the retaining nut and screw the slot on top of the bolt clockwise until seated, then back off until it just barely rubs when you turn the steering wheel, then lock her down. I tried to get a good pic of the box, but it is blurry. Sorry 'bout that. Blame it on Miller High Life. :D

[IMG]local://upfiles/10034/E72B5BC39AEB49F8A007BADB81559C28.jpg[/IMG]

nassaubayman 07-25-2007 07:56 PM

Another picture of the adjustment screw.

[IMG]local://upfiles/64151/83FE305AF038451B86C45BEC74ADB6E6.jpg[/IMG]