Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Proportioning valve questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 05:19 PM
importsmasher
1st Gear Member

Default Proportioning valve questions

I am swapping a set of Granada disc brakes onto my wife's 66 Mustang, and I need to install a proportioning valve. I have the valve that came with the disc brake setup, but I don't know which fitting goes where. Can anyone help me identify which goes to the left front, right front, rear, and master cylinder (front and rear)? Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to attach a picture....I will be using a Granada master cylinder.

Thanks,
Importsmasher
Old 07-20-2013, 05:21 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Proportioning valve, or distribution block?
Old 07-20-2013, 05:26 PM
importsmasher
1st Gear Member

Well, both. I have a distribution block, and one of the lines has an inline thing that I presume is the proportioning valve. I am used to GM cars where everything is in one unit....

Importsmasher
Old 07-20-2013, 05:51 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Post a picture
Old 07-20-2013, 06:03 PM
chockostang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by importsmasher
Well, both. I have a distribution block, and one of the lines has an inline thing that I presume is the proportioning valve. I am used to GM cars where everything is in one unit....

Importsmasher
Have to state this as it is.

You are installing brakes on your classic--You have no idea of how brakes work (Very apparent in the questions)--You need advise that can be correct, or incorrect--????

Have you thought about taking this to a qualified, knowledgeable person??

Stopping is very important here.

Dan @ Chockostang
Old 07-20-2013, 07:49 PM
importsmasher
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by chockostang
Have to state this as it is.

You are installing brakes on your classic--You have no idea of how brakes work (Very apparent in the questions)--You need advise that can be correct, or incorrect--????

Have you thought about taking this to a qualified, knowledgeable person??

Stopping is very important here.

Dan @ Chockostang
Back up for a second...I never said I don't know how brakes work. I said I have a distribution block and proportioning valve here and I don't know which line goes where (I didn't pull it off of the original car it came from). I have built dozens of cars and trucks, and worked in brake testing of prototype cars for 7 years, so I know very well how brakes work. I have just never built a Ford, and I am not familiar with the distribution block I have. If nobody here can assist me, I will just have to figure it out for myself....maybe I'll just install a GM combination valve on it. I have several of those.

67Mustang302, I would post a picture if I could figure out how (I am not all that computer literate).

Thanks,
Importsmasher
Old 07-20-2013, 10:00 PM
Boogie's_AutoRama
1st Gear Member

I'll try to post a photo of mine in the morning.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:47 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

FWIW I tossed the POS factory distribution block and just run a T fitting to split the front left/right and run an adjustable prop. valve in the line going to the rear. All Wilwood.

Edit: Actually, it used to be that way, now it uses a Wilwood part. http://www.wilwood.com/MasterCylinde...emno=260-11179 Has the prop in the rear, and splits the front for left/right, but the 2 sides are totally isolated. It also has a brake light pressure switch built in to it.

Last edited by 67mustang302; 07-21-2013 at 02:50 AM.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:11 AM
Boogie's_AutoRama
1st Gear Member

This should help you out.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:06 AM
120mm
2nd Gear Member

I've finally removed my proportioning valve altogether on my '67 and just replumbed it in the stock configuration in the distro block. After experimentation, I could not see where it made a difference in actually stopping the car.

I know everyone gets all bent out of shape on how "critical" brakes are, (and they are critical) but seriously; they work on well-recognized principles, and really aren't that hard to learn and do. Especially disc brakes.

Quick Reply: Proportioning valve questions