MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   Classic Mustangs (Tech) (https://mustangforums.com/forum/classic-mustangs-tech-16/)
-   -   Help installing windshield/ back window molding clips. (https://mustangforums.com/forum/classic-mustangs-tech/332856-help-installing-windshield-back-window-molding-clips.html)

LPlum 08-17-2007 10:01 AM

Help installing windshield/ back window molding clips.

After a new paint job, I'm having trouble getting the window trim/molding clips back on my 1966.It appears the clipswould just push back onto the little metal heads that are around the windows. Is there a trick or a tool to do this. Thanks for any advice.
Thanks, Lowell

65StangFB 08-17-2007 10:54 AM

RE: Help installing windshield/ back window molding clips.

My recommendation would be to buy new clips (They come with the screws) because they are coated for water protectioncaoting and depending on how old yours are or if you need to unscrew them to get the clips back on they may not be sealed as best they can. They are not that expensive. As a FYI I have been reading reviews on whats best to use in the older windows and I have found it best to use Butyl (I am open to other suggestions), but this can be pricing $18 at the local part store. Search online I found it for $5 because you might need atleast two tubes. (I ordered three).

gothand 08-17-2007 10:55 AM

My '65 has the screw-in clips so I no nothing about the '66 push-on clips other than I did see a tool available from NPD to install them. Whether you need this tool or not I don't know.

Good luck!
Jeff

gothand 08-17-2007 10:56 AM

ORIGINAL: 65StangFB

My recommendation would be to buy new clips (They come with the screws)
The early cars used screwed in clips before they switched to push-on clips. It sounds like the O.P.'s car has the push-on style.

Smothers 08-17-2007 01:03 PM

If you have all the old clips and they are in good condition you can reuse them, but will need to bend them a bit so you do not have too much play when they are pushed back onto the stud in the pinch weld area.

Usually one or two or most of them will be better off being replaced. Here is the deal with new ones. The will fit too tight if you just put them in and try to get your mouldings on. You must stick a flat head screw driver or something similarinbetween the new clip and the inside of the post (the metal behind the clip) and pry out just a bit. There should be a small amount of play to give room for the moulding.

I like to use the bottom end of a screwdriver to tap clips onto the studs (carefull not to bang on the paint. You can also use the tip of a small flat head screwdriver placed in the bottom part of the clip (where it curles up) and tap them on. May have to move the screwdriver tip from on side of the clip to the other while tapping.

When installing the moldings you can use a karate chop type action with your hand to get them on or use asmall block of wood and mallet to pop them on. This method also works well with the stubborn clips. Try just pressing them on with thumbs before employing the other methods.

If a clip stud breaks off, use a small self tapping screw instead.

gjz30075 08-17-2007 01:11 PM

Yes, there is a trick. I used a tool that is a rivet remover that one would chuck in an air tool, like a smallair hammer. It looks like a claw. Picture a wide blade screwdriver with a notch cut out of the middle. The whole thing is also slightly curved. With this tool, you place the claw on the clip with the curvature over the pin. A slight tape with a hammer and the clip is seated. Hope this helps.

gjz30075 08-17-2007 01:14 PM

Actually my reply is to Lplum. To claify some more: the curvature would be "upside down", ie, like a spoon upside down. This way, the tool clears the pin but yet pushes the clip home.

65StangFB 08-17-2007 01:29 PM

You learn somethng new everyday. Thanks gothand.

It seems there are more and more things they switched half way thru 65 production.

jravenea 08-17-2007 04:05 PM

Took me quite some efforts to get the clips back on my 68. Paint and very tight widshield weatherstipping made it difficult to puch the clips on.
I used the head of a flat screwdriver and a hammer to force them in. I paid extreme attention to the paint and took my time.
For some, I had to pry the watherstrip so I could slide the clip under...
Have fun.
JC

koryteranian 06-12-2014 01:45 PM

Obviously, I am a few years too late to help LPLUM, but I'm hoping these few videos shich I have recently made, will help those who come after him.

Here are a couple of videos I've made for 1970 coupe windshield and back glass installation, for whoever needs it.

1970 Mustang Coupe Windshield Installation video:

1970 Mustang Coupe rear Window Installation Video:

I hope you find them helpful.

Kory.