Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

68 restoration question

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 10:01 PM
gizahuna

Default 68 restoration question

I'm about ready to send my coupe to the paint stripped off. I need to remove the vinyl top and I know that there are staples holding the vinyl underneath the chrome window moundings. My first question is how do I remove the window moundlings without breaking them?

My second question is on the ornaments on the side of the car. Any advice on removing them? The lettering on the trunk was easy, but the side ornaments on the quarter panel and the 289 running horse and script mustang. Are there fasterners on the other side or do they press in and I have to just break them to remove them?

Thanks and I apreciate any help you could give.
Old 02-05-2005, 11:15 PM
ivanr77
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 68 restoration question

just use a razor and cut along the bottom/edges of the vinyl and it should just pull of easily. There shouldn't be staples holding the vinyl, but if there are then remove the moldings using this tool:

which is basically a molding removal tool. Although i don't think you need to remove the molding, that tool is the best way to remove the moldings without damaging them.

as for the ornaments...
The fender ornaments are pinned through and you need to get on the other side of the fender to get them out. As for the ornaments on the quarter panel, you have to remove your backseat and quarter panel trim on the inside to unscrew that. It would also be a good idea to remove your quarter panel molding at the same time (this molding is where the vinyl ends on the quarter panel.)

hope this helps.

Old 02-06-2005, 11:05 PM
ravenblack67

The vinyl top molding is affixed with screws. The rear seat panels need to come out. In addition, plan on moving the headliner a bit. It's harder than it looks.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:28 PM
ivanr77
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ravenblack67

The vinyl top molding is affixed with screws. The rear seat panels need to come out. In addition, plan on moving the headliner a bit. It's harder than it looks.

wow thats rough...i still need to take my moldings out and i've been thinking about all that i need to get past just to get to my moldings. Sucks i have to screw with my headliner...its original and in great shape =/