Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

If you could have EFI without a specific computer, would you go for it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 08:49 PM
66GTKFB
5th Gear Member

Default RE: If you could have EFI without a specific computer, would you go for it?

Two 66 GT Fastbacks, both pure stock, one's a 'K' code, and a 65 GT Fastback, pure stock.
And don't say I'm not computer savvy, I was repairing computers in the 60's, designing them in the 70, putting them in satellites in the 80's.
Jim
(The Webbers went on my VW powered sand rail.)
Old 08-18-2007, 11:23 PM
zuluracerx
1st Gear Member

Default RE: If you could have EFI without a specific computer, would you go for it?

Yes.

[IMG]local://upfiles/71573/3CF4156A365C4D59A8DB1A2ADE121CD5.jpg[/IMG]
Old 08-18-2007, 11:50 PM
Daze
3rd Gear Member

I bought the kit and built the unit. It is destine for my 62 Galaxie and then once I have the bugs out I will build one for my Mustang. Took me about 8 hours to put together the main unit, the relay board and the stimulator. NOTE I have been building circuit boards sense I was a kid and if you have no experience soldering a circuit board do not attempt to do this until you have practiced on something else or even better sever something elses. The connections are very close together. I have bench tested my unit and it seams to work very well and the software for it makes it very easy to adjust. I am going to use 5.0 upper and lower intakes, an 87 ford truck high pressure pump a trunk mount impact kill switch for the pump, and home made megasquirt wiring harness. I will post more if I ever get time to work on my Galaxie

Old 08-19-2007, 12:05 AM
66GTKFB
5th Gear Member

Well done, I can get you a job here in Silicon Valley at some hi-tech outfit, $70 or $80k a year. Of course, you would need to commute from Montana.
Jim
Old 08-19-2007, 06:23 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

i rather use http://www.sdsefi.com/ im lazy dont like making a whole system
Old 08-19-2007, 07:40 AM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

I have checked into the Megasquirt system, and everyone I've talked to has liked it. In time, "Evil" will have a little sister, and she will be fuel injected also. Since I plan a Turbo only (maybe twins),a Megasquirt would handle the engine management OK. Also I have heard scuttle there is work being done that will allow use of common existing (junkyard) ECM's that will be fully programable via the laptop. That would be a great help to keep things in budget. As far as the aftermarket ECM's, as this market gets more crowded, the price will drop. And "scouttrooper", I appreciate the info, I have one EFI and 8 carbed. Needless to say, the EFI has spoiled me. So, to answer your question, YES.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:05 AM
Smothers
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 66GTKFB

Well done, I can get you a job here in Silicon Valley at some hi-tech outfit, $70 or $80k a year. Of course, you would need to commute from Montana.
Jim
Not to mention the cost of living is 3 to 4 times more expensive then Montana. So it will seem more like $20k a year
Old 08-19-2007, 02:09 PM
66GTKFB
5th Gear Member

You need to make at least $150,000 to qualify for a home loan in Silicon Valley. That don't leave much left over for 'toys'.
Jim
Old 08-19-2007, 02:21 PM
gothand
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 66GTKFB

You need to make at least $150,000 to qualify for a home loan in Silicon Valley. That don't leave much left over for 'toys'.
Jim
I read an article about the wealthy by all other accounts people commuting daily from Stockton, Manteca, et al to SV for work. I also read another article that really puts SV wealth into perspective:

In Silicon Valley, Millionaires Who Don’t Feel Rich

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/05/te...54&ei=5070
Old 08-19-2007, 03:25 PM
tarafied1
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Soaring

Everybody who has been a member on here for any time at all knows that I think a classic mustang with an EFI engine is just wrong. You may as well put a Toyota engine in it as far as I am concerned. It's the same thing. You are putting an engine into a classic that was not designed for a classic Mustang. I like Motorcraft carbs.
I respect your opinion and I like Carbs too. I have a Holley on my 67 but I'm not sure how putting EFI on a classic car is the same as putting a Toyota engine in a Mustang. From the purist point of view I entirely respect the carb, but Ford makes EFI for 5.0's that is so easy to adapt and would be ALL Ford parts. Even an aftermarket system is no different than changing gears, wheels, exhaust, cams, etc., etc.
Anyway to each his own.
Craig

Quick Reply: If you could have EFI without a specific computer, would you go for it?