Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

67 coupe rust problems need to know names of parts

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 02:43 AM
SgtCowan

Default 67 coupe rust problems need to know names of parts

Hello all. I own a 67 mustang that I currently have stripped pretty well (all interior out, hood off, trunk lid off, everything out except rearend, engine and tranny). I have a rust spot in the vent area. It's hard to explain. Its in front of where the windshield was where the vents are but its actually below that where the water pooled up. With my dash board off I can see the rusted bottoms but I do not see any replacement parts for this. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-04-2005, 12:19 PM
Marty256
1st Gear Member

Default RE: 67 coupe rust problems need to know names of parts

This is the cowl area. Check CJ Pony Parts in Harrisburg PA. They have a web site CJPONYPARTS.COM and an 800 number for tech service. 1-800-888-6473 Very helpful and knowledgeable people there.
Old 02-05-2005, 12:47 AM
SgtCowan

Thats the word I was looking for. Thanx a lot appreciate it.
Old 02-05-2005, 11:03 PM
ivanr77
2nd Gear Member

cowl vents...they are tough to replace. youre going to be cutting through a lot of mustang before you can get your cowl vents out.
Old 02-06-2005, 02:41 PM
SgtCowan

Any one know where I can get a good how to for this project?
Old 02-06-2005, 04:42 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Are you sure you want to go there? It is a huge project. You have to take the fenders off, drill out over 100 spot welds, then replace the cowl. You have to weld it in, so if you don't have a welder or don't know how to weld, then you are in trouble. But, if you are tough, then buy a Mig welder, and the special drill tool that NPD sells to drill out the spot welds. Spend mucho hours drilling out the spot welds to get the old cowl out, then replace the entire cowl along with the buckets. Good luck!
Old 02-06-2005, 05:19 PM
picos68stang

Soaring is right...this is no quick weekend project. Almost all (if not all) classic stangs have had this problem which will get severe enough to let rain come right down on your feet. Soaring's way is the "proper" way to fix it. However, depending on your plans for the car, there is an alternative. You can but a kit that has these plastic top hat looking pieces. You get inside from under the dash and epoxy them in place. They worked on mine, but I also keep my car garaged now so that the rust doesnt get worse. But judging by your other thread, if you are going as far as buying a rotissire, youll want to do it the proper way. For more info, do a search on cowl leaks and youll see how many people have the same problem. Good luck.

Pico

P.S. Which branch Sgt?
Old 02-06-2005, 06:06 PM
SgtCowan

I am in the United States Marines. I just went and bought a good welder, its line fed and does 2 types of metal the flux and the other one (new to welding so don't know the other name). So looks like I will be a busy bee pretty soon. I have the car stipped all the way down onlything left in it is the steering mechanisms. I got a new air chisel so i can take out all the floor plans cause they are disquestingly rusted out. Once they are out I plan on practicing the welding on them by cuttting them in half and then welding them back together a few times. So far this has been a great project and I am thinking about getting another vehicle to restore after this.
Old 02-06-2005, 06:22 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

I simply love your attitude Sgt. You are a special man who loves to learn how to refurbish old Mustangs. I will be retiring next year, and will be spending most of my time refurbishing old mustangs in my shop. It may not be profitable, but it will be fun.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:20 PM
SgtCowan

Thanx for the compliment. Man that air chisel is rocking! I took out the part that the seats bolt on to in like 8 min. I also played with the welder on the pan I took out. I put some bolts on it and welded them on and then tried to get them off with a hammer. I couldn't. That damn thing is awesome. Any one happen to know a place to put up pics of projects? I would like to see some shops so i can get some ideas on how to best arrange my stuff and show off my shop a lil. Appreciate it.

Quick Reply: 67 coupe rust problems need to know names of parts