Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

I know this is a scam - Just curious how does it work?

Old 08-21-2007, 09:48 PM
palerider
4th Gear Member

Default I know this is a scam - Just curious how does it work?

Selling some rims on Craigslist - I know the below email I got has scam written all over it. Was basically a response I got after I responded to an email and said wheels were stilll for sale.Curious how it works. I would not release wheels before check cleared . Must be assuming I would. People like this **** me off! Makes everone leary of doing things thru the web.

Sounds Good.
I will like to proceed with payment asap and will like to handle shipment myself when you must have gotten your cash at hand.I work with an auditing firm and will not have time to mail a check.I am in no rush to pick up the item till funds are clear at the bank.As there are too many scams on internet as regards buying and selling with large bogus account.My mode of payment will be via Electronic Cashier Check drawn on .(Bank Of America).Electronic Cashier checks is fast and secure.You will probarbly need a business
check paper to print and cash or deposit the check today.The business check paper is sold for $20 at any stationery store,staples or at your local office supply outlet.I will add the cost of supplies to your asking price with an extra offer for accepting my mode of payment.I will need your name and address with valid email address to send the Echeck to your email which you can print immediately when you must have purchase the supplies at staples or any stationery store.Kindly delete the advert of this item if my mode of
payment is accepted.I will await your email asap.
Thanks.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:53 PM
66GTKFB
5th Gear Member

Default RE: I know this is a scam - Just curious how does it work?

Your response should contain two words - the second is 'you'. Figure out the first on your own and consider yourself smart enough to figure that is was a scam.
From my own standpoint, I tell every prospective buyer I am contacted by from a craigslist item - 'show me the money' - as in cash.
Jim
Old 08-21-2007, 10:00 PM
Mr. Classic EFI
2nd Gear Member

Yeah Dude! Cash up front.
And Howdy Mr.66GTKFB
Old 08-21-2007, 11:31 PM
Nabster
3rd Gear Member

How is that method of payment even conceivably convenient for either party?

From the way he wants you to print out a check and cash that it's like he's sending the money from a fake account, and then wants to report you for fraud afterward
Old 08-21-2007, 11:47 PM
Jakaru
2nd Gear Member

Basically he'll "email" you a check for over the amount of the asking price and ask you to send that extra amount. The bank may even take it from you and then he'll expect you to send him the extra from your bank account, your check will clear and of course his will not. This seems even like a lazy scammer as most would actually mail you a decent looking fake check instead of making you print your own out with your own paper but I guess that cuts the scammers cost when they don't have to fake the checks.

*Edit* I think you can do a search on google for scam baiting if you have extra time and are bored. I am not held responsible for anything to come of it though.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:09 AM
shikoz
2nd Gear Member

By the way, what kind of wheels are you selling and where are you located?
Old 08-22-2007, 06:22 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

cash only best way to do it
Old 08-22-2007, 06:27 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: andrewmp6

cash only best way to do it
Ya can't send cash in the mail......it's agin the law.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:29 AM
blueovalboy7
4th Gear Member

Best way to do it is in person, hence the locale of the craigslist you post your items on.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:29 AM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

Since when is sending cash through the mail against the law? It's not very smart but I'm pretty sure it's legal.

If you want some tips as to how to screw with this guy, go to a site called ebolamonkeyman.com. This guy strings them along as long as he can and gets them to do stupid stuff.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I know this is a scam - Just curious how does it work?