MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   Classic Mustangs (Tech) (https://mustangforums.com/forum/classic-mustangs-tech-16/)
-   -   So my new tires are rubbing already (https://mustangforums.com/forum/classic-mustangs-tech/336305-so-my-new-tires-are-rubbing-already.html)

five pt oh 08-24-2007 10:47 PM

So my new tires are rubbing already

I finally got my new rims and tires yesterday. I went with 15x6 Thrust D with 235/60/15 on all corners. I know that's kinda wide for the front, but I talked to several people who had already done it with no problems, so I wasn't too worried.One thing I didn't account for was that my suspension a shot to where the car sits really low in backand is very bouncy in front. Theytested fitted them at the store and they seemed okay.

Long story short the front fender dug into the tire's shoulder while I was making a turn down a steep driveway today. The tire store was cool and is going to replace it free. We're all guessing that once I get the springs and shocks replaced it should be okay and will stop rubbing.

What do you guys think???Willfixing the suspensionbe enough to make the 235s work, or am I likely to have to go toa 225?

Anyone know whatthe measurement should be from the top/center of the wheel well to the ground? I'm at 25.75" right now.

edit 2wks later : UPDATE at Post 16

baddog671 08-24-2007 10:51 PM

RE: So my new tires are rubbing already

Stock height is 26", so yes, your sagging.

I'd also like to put 235's on mine, but I think I'm going to stick with 225's and play it safe...

66JameStang 08-24-2007 10:55 PM

Is it the front drivers side?

Jakaru 08-24-2007 11:11 PM

I say get the smaller tires, why worry about a big bump or sagging suspension over time. a new suspension wont change the fact that the tires are too big.

five pt oh 08-24-2007 11:14 PM

yes, it's the front driver's side. It happened when I was making a left turn down to a little street that was much lower than the main road. I'll spare you guysthe physics, but it put extra weight/compression on that wheel. Had I been making a right hand turn going the other way, the passanger side tire probably would have done the same thing.

My only problem with going to 225s or 215s in front is that those Goodyear GT II don't come any smaller than a 235, so I'll have to change all of them.

ORIGINAL: baddog671

Stock height is 26", so yes, your sagging.

I'd also like to put 235's on mine, but I think I'm going to stick with 225's and play it safe...
Yeah sagging is part of the problem. I think the extra bouncing is amajor factortoo.

So 26" is stock for front. What about back? I'mfairly sure the backissupposedto be higher.

JamesW 08-24-2007 11:49 PM

I know you love the look of those Goodyear Eagles... but they're just really too big/wide a tire for 6" rims on a 1st generation car. 215's are really about the best size.

five pt oh 08-25-2007 12:08 AM

they drive SO much better though (even with the shot suspesnion). I really don't want to give them up. :(

The car only gets 300mi/yr. So I can take some rubbing here and there. After allthe tires will dry rot before the tread goes anyway (I took off some 1995 tires that had plenty of tread). Still, I can't have it digging in like it did today. Then again, now that it peeled back the shoulder today they might not be wide enough torub any more. hahahahaha!

I'm doing the suspension next week, and I may roll the fenders. I guess I'll go with the BFGs if they're still hitting after all that.

drewsky 08-25-2007 12:14 AM

just have the new suspension put in and youll prolly be fine.

Jakaru 08-25-2007 12:32 AM

It depends on the suspension though. I went with stock height in the rear but couldn't help going one inch drop in the front with 620 springs and I like the look because the front just looks too high even with larger tires. No way you could keep those with anything lower than stock height in the front. If it was me and I didn't drive it that much I'd go with the smaller tires. Who wants to have their mustang towed when it digs too deep.

Galactusz 08-25-2007 05:32 AM

I don't understand why you got the new wheels, it's always best to get the suspension going first, that's what I did.

Your car also needs new leaf springs, that's why your ride has that sag look in the back.

After I got my Grab-A-Track kit (suspension, steering, leaf springs), I also got the Torque Thrust Ds, I went with 15x7's with 215/60/15 on the front, and 225/60/15 on the back, NO tire rubbing whatsoever, and yes, also went with Goodrich Radials TA's with white lettering.