Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Squeak after driving for 15 minutes

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 03:09 PM
lucastrex
1st Gear Member

Default Squeak after driving for 15 minutes

My ride: 66 coupe, stock suspension, nothing else stock

Problem: Squeak that ONLY appears after 15 minutes of driving. (WILLNOTSQUEAK BEFORE 15 MINUTES). Cannot pinpoint location as it has been perceived from the front of the car all the way to the back seat. Believed to be exterior. Cannot duplicate squeak by pushing/pulling on any part of car while standing still. Primarily occurs when right front tire contactsSHARP bumps/potholes, not over every type of dip.

Remedies to date:
1. Greased as many rubber bushings as I could find. Some of them don't look healthy. Do I need to replace some or all of them. If so, please tell me with what and how (limited skill set here).
2. Shored up my 3" exhaust which had loose points. No longer a problem.
3.Passenger side hooker super comp long tubes very close to shock tower.Crow bar persuasion created a little moreroom for it.One metal part of the suspension or steering is very close to the outside bottom of the headers. It may touch, but why wouldn'tthe noise bein thefirst 15 min.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:41 PM
lucastrex
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Squeak after driving for 15 minutes

Forgot to mention that ihave added sub-frame connectors and TCP Products strut tower brace to monte carlo bar. Otherwise, suspension seems stock. I can't say for sure whether the squeak was present before i added the TCP products. Anyone ever heard of it squeaking? I can't duplicate the noise by messing with it. Could engine heat be doing something to it after 15 minutes to make it squeak? I think the fact that it always takes 15 minutes of drivingthecar (from cold) is the key to whatever it is. Please help.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:54 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Perhaps after your car warms up, something is expanding from the heat just enough to rub. I'd suspect the header...
Old 09-03-2007, 04:13 PM
lucastrex
1st Gear Member

If my bushings were bad, or other suspension part, wouldn't the squeak be all the time including when just starting to drive? Or do suspension parts take a warm-up of their own sometimes to begin squeaking?
Thanks baddog671, I'll look into the header some more.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:18 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Id suspesct the suspension to make noise soon as it started up. Your suspension doesnt really get affected by heat.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:15 AM
theAutomatics
1st Gear Member

Well I just had a problem with a squeel from underneath my car after driving for a few blocks......I found out it was my rear axle bearings.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:23 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

look around under it for bare metal or a clean spot something rubbing somewhere.no is it a metal on metal sound a hard thud or a rubber sound like a loose belt.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:09 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

common issue with all early classic mustangs 64-66...
when it squeaks like mad try this to isolate:
- stop the car
- push the car's front down. once where the left spring is, and once where the right spring is.

you'll hear the squeaks then I'm pretty sure ... the only thing that helps is 'more grease'. and this will only do it for the next 2000miles if properly done.
Some do even sell bushings that have an adapter for a grease gun. It is very hard to grease all bushings in such a way that it stops squeking.
But you can find out with spraying wd40 to see which bushing it is. wd40 will fix the issue for 5 mins max, but helps to find the location

I'd nearly bet a fiver that's your problem. I have the same with my car for every few 1000 miles. and believe me. i'm not the only one ;-)

Kalli
Old 09-09-2007, 09:55 AM
lucastrex
1st Gear Member

I made some more room for my header, as well as shored up a lot of potential squeakers. One suggestion I received was upper ball joint replacement. Visual inspection revealed rubber boot (or bushing ?)around upper balljoint isworn out. Could this cause squeak? Can't duplicate noise by pushing down on suspension;car must be driven for 15 minutes before squeak starts.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:46 AM
superdavid
4th Gear Member

Any possibility its a U joint or anything???? When I was working in the autoshop at my school part time we had a Silverado that was squeaking from the rear after a few minutes and it turned out to be the U joint.... but I dont know if thats even a possibility with the placement and type of your squeak.

Quick Reply: Squeak after driving for 15 minutes