Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Coolent on the block. Could it be the thermostat housing or just the thermostat or what I NEED HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 03:55 PM
JERM_1967stang
2nd Gear Member

Default Coolent on the block. Could it be the thermostat housing or just the thermostat or what I NEED HELP!

My car is running hot and coolent has leaked from somewhere around the thermostat housing i obviously guessed the theremostat but my guage reads and idk if the guage would still read if the thermostat was bad. there is a rubber tube with a bubble in it that is connected to the thermostat housing but its not the one connected to the radiator and suggestion or answers. Could it possibly be the gasket to the housing????
Old 09-12-2007, 03:56 PM
JERM_1967stang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Coolent on the block. Could it be the thermostat housing or just the thermostat or what I NEED HELP!

I have pictures just PM me for them i couldnt figure out how to post them with the pictures
Old 09-12-2007, 04:02 PM
Gary H
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Coolent on the block. Could it be the thermostat housing or just the thermostat or what I NEED HELP!

Gasket or the hose...
Old 09-13-2007, 07:59 AM
musting
1st Gear Member

could be the T-stat bypass hose has a hole, My wifes Explorer has a 5.0 and everywhere she parked could see a small amount of antifreeze under, but could never see where it was coming from, so one day I decided to change the T-housing gasket and when I pulled the bypass hose off I then looked closeley and found a small slit in the inside of the U bend of the hose, very hard to detect when the hose was connected,, while I was at it I went ahead and changed
T-stat and gasket along with the bypass hose.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:11 AM
NorCalTroy
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Coolent on the block. Could it be the thermostat housing or just the thermostat or what I NEED H

Jeremy-

The thermostat doesn't actually control the gauge, there is a separate sending unit for that. The thermostat controls the actual flow of the water/coolant. There is usually a gasket or at least some RTV between the thermostat housing and the intake/block, it might be a good guess that your leak could be coming from there.

Musting may also be correct, it wouldn't hurt to replace your bypass hose, especially if there is already a bubble in it. That could very well be the cause of your leak. If it isn't now, it will be in the future, maybe when you are in the middle of nowhere with no tools or replacement parts. I'd say fix it now before it becomes a much bigger (and more inconvenient) problem!

Good luck!