Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

How to "tighten" up my brakes

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 02:14 PM
MustangPammie
3rd Gear Member

Default How to "tighten" up my brakes

Drum brakes (yeah, ugh) with a booster on the firewall. They have never been tight and I was always told that was normal. No way in hell can I slam on the brakes as it won't stop quickly. At times it almost feels like I have no brakes because even to the floor it's hard to stop (and short legs don't help).

Enter the Firebird with drum brakes and a booster and tight as hell brakes. Stops on a dime.

I've had my Mustang brakes checked 3 times and am told they are definitely making vacuum and there is no leak.

Is this really normal? Is it just because it's a Mustang?

I was told to pump the brakes and, at times, that seems to help. This isn't always the way they are, at times they seem tighter, but now that I'm used to tight brakes with the Firebird, the Mustang is seriously lacking in brake power.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:22 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: How to "tighten" up my brakes

There are start adjusters on each drum to place the shoe closer to the drum. If you're having to pump the brakes to make them firm, it is either they are not adjusted correctly or there is air in the lines.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:42 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Agreed. Having to pump the brakes means there's something wrong with the system.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:45 PM
JamesW

Checked for vacuum leaks... did they also check out the rest of the system? A general brake job... (new M/C, new fluids, new wheel cylinders, new shoes, turned drums...fresh bleed job.. may be just what the Dr. ordered.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:08 PM
MustangPammie
3rd Gear Member

Everything was replaced. 2 of the drums had 100 miles on them and were replaced. It's been like this since the restoration. Every time they are checked, I'm told everything is in place and is fine, and that's just how drum brakes are.

I just don't like it.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:28 PM
az1966
2nd Gear Member

If everything mechanical is cool,, then has to be a leak of some kind,,,2 things to check,,1 is are the adjusters installed right, and whats the fluid level in the master cylinder, if both are good then an air/vacuum leak would seem likely
Old 10-06-2007, 04:37 PM
Gun Jam

If it was worse after the repair my bet is there is air in the lines, at least that seems like the obvious answer.
What about shoe clearance the shoes should just ever so lightly rub on the brake drums. When you roll the drum over by hand you might not feel it but you should hear it rub at least for a few degrees of rotation.

Happy hunting

Gun
Old 10-06-2007, 04:49 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

The pedal should not go to the floor unless there's afluid leak or the brakes are majorly out of adjustment. Even if the booster was getting zero vacuum, you shouldstill have a firm pedal. If nothing's leaking externally, check the shoe adjustment. If the shoes are adjusted properly, suspect an internal bypass in the m/c.
Old 10-06-2007, 04:53 PM
MustangPammie
3rd Gear Member

I had no brakes when I got the car so it's improved greatly. "To the floor" is an exaggeration, obviously, but they just aren't tight and everyone says nothing is wrong with them.

I'm just frustrated since now I know what tighter brakes feel like.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:02 PM
Gun Jam

ohh.

they are assisted? or totally manual?

can you apply enough pressure to lock up the at least the rear wheels? IF NOT what happens instead?

Where the rubber brake lines replaced as well? If not they could be swelling slightly and thus reducing braking performance.

Gun

Quick Reply: How to "tighten" up my brakes