Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Car is very hard to start

Old 10-25-2007, 09:02 AM
blane17
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Car is very hard to start

btw, not sure where/when i talked down to you. all i said was it makes sense to spend $20 on a part to rule out what is a very possible cause of your problems, especially when you have already spent a lot more than that on caps/rotors/spark plug wires/etc. At the very least, a carb spacer will provide improved performance and to boot, couldpossibly fix your problems.However, if you know its an electrical problem and its faulty wiring, then I'm not sure what anyone here can do for you without actually looking at the car. My question regarding spark was posed for my own edification-- if spark is strong and the timing is correct, how can spark be a problem? What am/was I missing?

anyways, good luck with your electrical problems. i have had them in the past and they ain't fun.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:56 AM
MustangPammie
3rd Gear Member

I don't know what you're missing but hopefully I'll have an answer by the end of the day as she's with the electrical guy right now.

She seemed to start better from a cold start with the new alternator and new original battery on her, but maybe it's my imagination ... or hope.

He'll get her hot, then diagnose it and hopefully fix it.

My fingers and toes are crossed.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:46 PM
MustangPammie
3rd Gear Member

I want to run it tomorrow again until it's hot and see if it's fine, but so far, so good. He fixed the heater/defroster which simply wasn't connected (duh). I drove it for a while and it started up with no issues. Wow.

She starts fine, it was a ground issue to the starter. I thought it was the starter but was told no, even though I could hear it skip for a second before it caught now and then.

I won't ask y'all to kneel yet lol, I'll test it tomorrow to be really, really sure ... so I don't end up eating crow while on MY knees!

The heat felt awesome, as strong as it was in the Mustang this morning.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:09 PM
ebluekeys
2nd Gear Member

Pammie. If you've got new spark wires, no sparks should be seen anywhere day or night. I think running points is nuts in this day and age, unless you're doing a super restoration or something. I bought a fantastic HEI (high energy - like modern cars have - it even has the coil built into the lid of the distributor!!) on Ebay for $69 bucks. VERY nice part, double ball bearing shaft support, nicely machined aluminum, all solid state with just ONE wire ( to the RED switched wire) and also a tach output pin. "performance curve". My engine has never idled worth a crap till I put this in. It was the best improvement for the money I made to the car. Before this, I had put a "pertronics" module in my stock distributor to replace the points. They are about 40 bucks and everything looks stock from the outside, but it works better, starts faster, and never needs adjustment. Either way, you will be ahead of the game. Good luck with the problem if this doesn't help.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:17 PM
MustangPammie
3rd Gear Member

Thanks, a few people have mentioned HEI yet a good friend said he prefers Petronix.

I'm going to give it a week or so and see if it's truly fixed (this car is like Christine, remember) and then make a decision on changing to HEI.

Old 10-25-2007, 11:48 PM
fast66
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MustangPammie

ORIGINAL: fast66

ORIGINAL: blane17

i don't even know where to start... sorry i chimed in
Don't be sorry, just don't talk down to me like I'm a moron because I won't agree with you that it's vapor lock.

If it turns out to be vapor lock, I will be down on my knees in front of all of you ... err, to beg for forgiveness.

Likewise, when I prove it's spark -- ok, IF I prove it's spark -- I expect all of you on your knees in front of me, humbly begging for forgiveness.

Ummm. The sysptoms of this problem seemed to have changed about 5 times during this thread. You seem to know what the problem is so why bother asking for help diagnosing it.
Because it's fun to see you worked up over a question on an Internet forum.
Hey, my car runs fine. Im happy.[sm=mail.gif]
Yours is the one that runs like crap.
BTW, you sure you're not getting your forums mixed up? This isn't http://www.classiccardating.com/
Old 10-26-2007, 07:30 AM
crunchyskippy
3rd Gear Member

If it turns out to be vapor lock, I will be down on my knees in front of all of you ... err, to beg for forgiveness.

Likewise, when I prove it's spark -- ok, IF I prove it's spark -- I expect all of you on your knees in front of me, humbly begging for forgiveness.
This has been a dizzying thread to follow. It started out with MustangPammie determined it WAS vapor lock. Kalli and Fastback351 both stated it could be grounding issues (and turned out correct). All along the way there were many other symptoms just to confuse and distract the issue. And there were lots of people trying to provide honest help. Let's be sure to skip the "I told you so" part.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:52 AM
MustangPammie
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: crunchyskippy

This has been a dizzying thread to follow. It started out with MustangPammie determined it WAS vapor lock. Kalli and Fastback351 both stated it could be grounding issues (and turned out correct). All along the way there were many other symptoms just to confuse and distract the issue. And there were lots of people trying to provide honest help. Let's be sure to skip the "I told you so" part.
I was told that it was symptomatic of vapor lock. Other people here convinced me it wasn't vapor lock and it was spark and not fuel.

My last comments were said in jest. I do appreciate everyone who tried to help here and in private, as always.

I'm still not positive it is fixed and won't know until later today until I drive it and see how it reacts.