Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Thinking of buying a '66 mustang

Old 10-30-2007, 05:49 PM
mat11089
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Thinking of buying a '66 mustang

to the reply about searching old threads.Ignore that, unless youre asking a question that was directly hit on very recent, dont worry cuz its most likely slightly different and helps to brign it back up so no worries about that.Looks like a nice car.I think 15000 is a bit much but.As long as you plan on keeping it for at least a few years youll get the money back.Classics are always going on never down.So if you really want it go for it but i would look for a few others just to give some options.Nice looking tho.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:05 PM
fast65
5th Gear Member

That's a pretty nice looking car. I'd say go for it, but try to talk him down a bit first. These were the orginal colors for these cars : http://www.svs.com/zim/mustang/66colors.html. The racing stripes only came on the Shelbys, but I don't think the paint color affects the value very much, if any.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:20 PM
DriWashSolutions
2nd Gear Member

$15k seems high for a '66 coupe - but that's just my opinion.

The stripes are a fairly common addition to early Mustangs, doesn't mean it's a real Shelby and unless you're a purist, doesn't hurt the value...
Old 10-30-2007, 08:33 PM
mustang_dreamin

Thank you for your imput! After researching a few other simialr cars on the web, it does seem a bit high considering all the modifications that were made... I'm happy to have found this forum as you ahve all been of great help! keep it coming! :-)
Old 10-31-2007, 12:21 AM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mustang_dreamin

Thank you for your imput! After researching a few other simialr cars on the web, it does seem a bit high considering all the modifications that were made... I'm happy to have found this forum as you ahve all been of great help! keep it coming! :-)
So why dont you offer the guy 10000 cash and see what happens? Other than that, keep looking man,, It is a nice car and I didnt mean that it wasnt when I said that for that money you could get something nicer, or, I just really believe you could, especially in California.. It is a damn nice car though..
Old 10-31-2007, 01:24 AM
mat11089
3rd Gear Member

i completely agree.I doubt he will take 10000 and if he doesnt id pass. but your money your car.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:09 AM
mustang_dreamin

yeah, he'd never take 10000 on it... no way.... that's just too low....
Old 10-31-2007, 07:05 AM
colostang
2nd Gear Member

That car could easily be worth 15k based on the information we have available. It could also be worth 6K based on the same info. Even with looking at the car firsthand and talking to the current owner it is hard to put a value on a car that has had so much work done on it. If ALL work done on the car is PERFECT then it is worth 15-20, if ALL work done on it is CRAP it is worth 4-6. My best guess is that it is somewhere in between, with some things needing fixed and some done real nicely.
I know this doesn't really help

The best advice I can give is to research the car the best you can, while doing the same on similar cars in your area. Then make a decision on what it is worth to you. In doing this research it would help to have a Mustang-knowledgable person to consult with. Maybe you can contact the local chapter of MCA and see if someone there could help. I am sure, as well, that in the bay area there are many more Mustang clubs that could be a good resource.

Old 10-31-2007, 11:32 AM
mustang_dreamin

Thanks colostag! actually, I had thought of contacting someone from a local mustang club to get more info. Someone from this board was nice enough to put me in contact with a very nice gentleman who is helping us out so I think we';ll be able to gather enough information to make the decision!
Old 10-31-2007, 02:33 PM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

That is a tough one. It is a really nice car, but usually, if a classic mustang is sitting on a lot, most people would be a little leary of it. It would depend on how well you know the guy who owns the lot. Having said that, I bought mine from a lot that deals only with classic autos, and looking back, I got screwed a little.

As for the pony and corral, most places they tend to go for between $100-125.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thinking of buying a '66 mustang