Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Our backwards resto....66 vert!

Old 10-30-2007, 07:18 PM
jamieNerikas66stang
3rd Gear Member

Default Our backwards resto....66 vert!...IMMMM BACK!

well,

i havent come up with a name for him/her yet,...sorry i dont know if that is like bad luck, like not having a name for your boat accourding to forest gump...
but for those that dont know the story, here is how it starts and where its at now...
i am getting way to many things started at once, but yet again i can not pass up this deal...
my mom was in chicago visiting my uncle and aunt, and i was talking to them the other day and jokingly said "if you ever want to sell that mustang let me know..he responds...
"if you come and get the Fing thing out of my garage, its yours..." "i do not want it anymore and have no need for it, it has been sitting for 18 years...so its yours as of today"
i have called a transportation company and currently trying to set up a date to have the car delivered to my house...it is going to cost me 790$ and it will be here in two days of selected pick up date...

the car has 42k ORIGINAL miles on it
update:
just got back from spending weekend in chicago got a chance to check out the car and take some pics...
well, i am very happy with the car, it NEEDS A TON or work, but as soon as i walked into a garage that had no been opened in 18 years, something inside of me fell in love with this thing...the smell of this garage was something that can not be described, the door had not been opened since the car was parked 18 years ago...and there was this car just sitting there, its hard to explain, like it was just parked one day and that was it...this project is going to take a lot of time and money, but these are things i am willing to put into something like this...my dad thinks i am nuts, but once again, something inside me just fell for this car on first site...
almost like a piece of history was just left sitting, forgot about, and now its time to bring it back...
i talked to some mustang GURUs and they say the v8 convertable has become a super rare car and there are no many left and go for BIG $$$$

needs new:
fender
door
quater panels
drivers side floor
entire new brake system
good:
car is 100% there not missing a single piece
original tires (haha) absoltly no thread left (so i am assuiming they were light up one to many times haha
engine still had oil in it and coolant
he had disk brakes installed up front and power steering
hooked up battery and top and windows went right up, lights went on and windeshield wipers
no rust in engine bay or trunk

Last edited by jamieNerikas66stang; 03-12-2009 at 06:56 PM.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:25 PM
jamieNerikas66stang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Our backwards resto....66 vert!

front tear down, fenders are now off along with both doors...whole front end will be new and two new doors

interior coming out

interior out, we ended up selling it all to a resto shop in cali, so the parts will be put to good use and continue to stay in the mustang community

only piece we kept
Old 10-30-2007, 07:28 PM
DriWashSolutions
2nd Gear Member

That's what is called a "barn find"

Nice find!
Old 10-30-2007, 07:30 PM
jamieNerikas66stang
3rd Gear Member

floor is in pretty bad shape

we dropped the car at the hot rod shop and it is in the process of getting a ENTIRE new floor, it cost alot of money, but im sure it will be 199% worth it...

here is the first shipment of parts we got, this is every single part, nut, and bolt of the interior of the car...

new front seats, keeping the pony rears in black along with a black top and a dark cherry red paint

Old 10-30-2007, 07:30 PM
blane17
2nd Gear Member

Why wouldn't you save the seat frames? looks like they are in good condition...
Old 10-30-2007, 07:33 PM
jamieNerikas66stang
3rd Gear Member

sorry for the confusion, we didnt keep the fronts, cause we wanted new front seats, we kept the rear seat frames and i am in the process of recovering them with black pony upholstery,...
Old 10-30-2007, 07:38 PM
jamieNerikas66stang
3rd Gear Member

this is my second resto, but my first american car, i have never had my hands on something this old and this american, everything seems to be so simple,..so far,...but here are the other two cars i have built...

04 subaru making about 450 ponies

Old 10-30-2007, 07:40 PM
jamieNerikas66stang
3rd Gear Member

this is my 1973 porsche 914 that i have restored to a somewhat original condition,...still on original motor with 72k, my father was the original owner, and the car sat in my garage under a cover for 28 years, about a year ago, i got up some go nads, took the cover off, and about 1 year later this is what you see....
Old 10-30-2007, 07:42 PM
blane17
2nd Gear Member

by no means am i anti-restomod, but if the car is so original and rare, why restomod it?
Old 10-30-2007, 07:46 PM
jamieNerikas66stang
3rd Gear Member

not to sound like a dick, and please dont take this the wrong way, i know im the new guy here, but..

#1. its my car to do what i please
#2. i am not a pure-ist, if thats the right word?
#3. i want a safer car (4 link rear, coilovers, disk brakes all around, etc...)
#4. this is a car i have wanted since i was 16, and now that i own one, i will spare no expense in making it into my "dream car"
#5. it will stay somewhat original...but i would rather have a well built weekend cruiser/warrior, then a stock original 66

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Our backwards resto....66 vert!