Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Newbie All but owns the name "Rustang" take a look

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 12:43 PM
DanK69RustangVert
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Newbie All but owns the name "Rustang" take a look

Easier to do in TX than in MO - Fewer low rust cars here. New cars rust in 5 -7 years here unless you take precautions and good care of them.

Still, I could find an easier one to build this is true but if I want to mod it up what better candidate than worthless junk? I defiantly don't have to worry about hurting it's value! And when I'm done I will know what I am riding in, and not have to worry that someone didn't do the job right, or is there rust hiding in the corners under body panels and trim?

But yeah, I did have to expect one (If not several) comments like "Scrap her, junk her, part her, get another one" I may be just an old f**t stuck in my ways but, I'll dance with the one that brung me. Even though they are still around, there are just too few of these old classics left to junk 'em out.

Besides if we don't save the ones we can, how will the next generation of 'stangheads score a classic? [sm=smiley2.gif]
Old 11-01-2007, 12:59 PM
jcomp
2nd Gear Member

What are your plans for the front suspension?
Old 11-01-2007, 01:22 PM
DanK69RustangVert
2nd Gear Member

Been looking at Heidt's MSII IFS with the power rack and Flaming River tilt. I have to loose the shock towers to fit that 4.6 in there even then it will be a tight fit, doable but tight for things like pwr. brake set up, exhaust etc.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:01 PM
RolandT3Speed
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DanK69RustangVert

Easier to do in TX than in MO - Fewer low rust cars here. New cars rust in 5 -7 years here unless you take precautions and good care of them.

Still, I could find an easier one to build this is true but if I want to mod it up what better candidate than worthless junk? .
Besides if we don't save the ones we can, how will the next generation of 'stangheads score a classic? [sm=smiley2.gif]
If you have the time, patience, and most of all money then you are absolutely correct!
My car only needs a new battery apron and drivers floor pan replaced and it will still cost me 10 grand by the time last coat of paint dries! [>:]

I applaud your heedless ambition!
Old 11-01-2007, 02:03 PM
68FastbackGT
2nd Gear Member

Your tenacity for a good challenge brings a few quotes to mind. CS&N “When you can’t be with the one you love, love the one you are with†and Jimmy Valvano’s “Never give up!â€
Old 11-01-2007, 02:15 PM
jcomp
2nd Gear Member

If you need any inspiration, you should check out 67 evil eleanor's car. He's got a mod motor also.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:14 PM
RSRXION
2nd Gear Member

OOOOFFFFF !!! Those yankee termites sure are hard on equipment ! I'm thinking that this little jewel might be a prime candidate for a tube chassis, rack, discs X 4 , etc ....
Old 11-01-2007, 03:21 PM
DanK69RustangVert
2nd Gear Member

I went into this figuring 36K-42K for all the mods and Shelby stuff I wanted. I'm now at about $20,500.00 and about to spend another $2,400.00 on the frame, floors, and quarterskins.I'm all but retired (At 48) after selling my two restaurants, now the bills get paid OK, so I'll spend time (&$)on her. When I'm not SCUBA diving in the Carib. (C'mon Dec.! = Cayman's) [sm=happy046.gif]

If I wanted to get one that was already done (And as a true "Clone" not modded out) it would have run 30K or better so I figure it will wash OK for me at least in the end. The diff. in $ for my time is the price for getting it exactly like I want it, and having the peace of mind that it was done right.

And I'm meticulous, not impatient, I figure working on it when I have the time and $ asthey comes in - 7-10 yrs. Sooner if I'm lucky, but I'm in no real hurry right now.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not rolling in $ but I'm OK and well... I've already paved this road.

Old 11-01-2007, 03:28 PM
dirtydave289
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DanK69RustangVert

Still, I could find an easier one to build this is true but if I want to mod it up what better candidate than worthless junk? I defiantly don't have to worry about hurting it's value! And when I'm done I will know what I am riding in, and not have to worry that someone didn't do the job right, or is there rust hiding in the corners under body panels and trim?

But yeah, I did have to expect one (If not several) comments like "Scrap her, junk her, part her, get another one" I may be just an old f**t stuck in my ways but, I'll dance with the one that brung me. Even though they are still around, there are just too few of these old classics left to junk 'em out.

Exactly !
in 10 years when I'm 25, there better be a few classics around so I can expand my collection!!
Old 11-01-2007, 03:35 PM
DanK69RustangVert
2nd Gear Member

RSRXION- OOOOFFFFF !!! Those yankee termites sure are hard on equipment !

[sm=signs007.gif]

"Two paths crossed in the wood....." Wait a min. two paths IN THE WOOD - Termites! [sm=lol.gif]

Quick Reply: Newbie All but owns the name "Rustang" take a look