Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Newbie All but owns the name "Rustang" take a look

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 03:53 PM
DanK69RustangVert
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Newbie All but owns the name "Rustang" take a look

Don't be thinking Mother raised a total idiot, I didn't spend over 20K on this thing. That's in the boxes and items setting around the car that I gathered so I would know I had them before starting on the stuff you can get all the time i.e. frame parts, doors etc.

It was the engine, Shelby stuff, and some of the mods I wanted acquired first. May seem a little backward but that was my plan. Believe me the car was not that expensive.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:33 PM
Batman67

it'll buff out....
Old 11-01-2007, 06:40 PM
Kenny_Z
2nd Gear Member

First off, are all those Chargers in the background of that one pic?

Secondly, I thought I had the exclusive title of Rustang but I think you might of edged me out on that one. I've got the same attitude as you, classics should always be saved no matter the rust Good luck, I can't wait to see the progress...it'll give me hope for my Rustang.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:03 PM
DanK69RustangVert
2nd Gear Member

Yup Chargers! Those pics in the snow (The 20 footers) were taken by the guy I bought it from. They do mostly Mopar slap it and paint it jobs, then sell to "I wanna General Lee" types that haven't got a clue. There was no slap it and paint it on this Mustang without a lawsuit, (Youv'e seen the frame rails in the pics) and they didn't want to do the work it needed so it came to me cheap. The closer pics (Of the car in the shop, you know - the rust) I took. They had told how bad she was so I knew what I was getting.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:22 AM
tarafied1
2nd Gear Member

I've replaced just about everything on mine but the roof (which you don't even have), so I know they can be saved!!!
Good luck and keep us posted on the progress. I had the same additude as you on my car, if I hadn't saved it it would have been crushed. I figure the purists wouldn't be too upset that I saved and modified a standard 67 coupe that they made over 360,000 and it was rusted beyond most. Not counting my labor, I have about $30K invested and I know I can't sell it for that but I could have bought a new car for $30K not be able to sell it either and still not have as much fun with it. Besides half the fun is building it!
I'm glad to see another raised from the dead (or soon to be anyway).
Craig
Old 11-02-2007, 08:28 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

For the irs look at http://www.dvsrestorations.com/ he makes a kit to bolt in a 99 up cobra irs the front id look at http://www.griggsracing.com/index.ph...1025_2020_3350 or http://www.rrs-online.com/ with there coilovers you can do a big shock tower touching.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:12 AM
DanK69RustangVert
2nd Gear Member

Thanks, Thats what the forum is about! I'll look 'em over.

I hadn't settled on any particular system for suspension yet, but had been looking at options. Up to now Heidt's MSII IFS had looked pretty good, but I knew there were others.

Thanks again,
Dan
Old 11-02-2007, 09:22 AM
palerider
4th Gear Member

I know what you mean about midwest cars - got 2 myself.If you nknow how to weld which I assume you do it's amazing what you can do with repo tin. Can get almost everyhting you need for 69 except cowl.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:38 AM
DanK69RustangVert
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tarafied1

I've replaced just about everything on mine but the roof (which you don't even have), so I know they can be saved!!!
Good luck and keep us posted on the progress. I had the same additude as you on my car, if I hadn't saved it it would have been crushed. I figure the purists wouldn't be too upset that I saved and modified a standard 67 coupe that they made over 360,000 and it was rusted beyond most. Not counting my labor, I have about $30K invested and I know I can't sell it for that but I could have bought a new car for $30K not be able to sell it either and still not have as much fun with it. Besides half the fun is building it!
I'm glad to see another raised from the dead (or soon to be anyway).
Craig
Exactly! [sm=icon_rock.gif]and tarafied - as I stated in your thread, I love that car man! And as for the roof well, I do have to replace the conv. top.

I figured I could buy a new car for the same money as I would spend on this when finished, but would not like the new car half as much. And when I'm finished with this mess - It will be a new car, that was the idea.

No car on the road today looks anywhere near as good as the '69 Shelbys (Save the new Mustangs) and the new Mustangs (IMHO) are not comfortable to drive, can't see out of the car from pass. side, door arm rest too low, console too low for arm rest, door too high to rest arm on, and what idiot in the gov. decided that we could not have a tilt wheel? Car makers need to design a way to tilt the wheel w/o changing the angle of the airbag to the driver! ???Double opposing joint with a pin that locks position when the charge goes off to release the bag??? It could be done, but an "Adjustable column" that drops maybe a 1/2" is NOT a TILT wheel! For someone as tall as I am (Not that tall at 6') I have to move the seat way back and drop the wheel down, then I am forced to stretch my arms out to reach the wheel with my shoulders almost pulled away from the seat to drive the mew Mustang - ergonomics my bu**! In that position the top of the wheel need to come toward me, BUT NOOoooo, the wheel won't T-I-L-T!

I'll design my ride for comfort, performance/mileage balance, handling, looksand FUN!
LIKE AN AMERICAN CAR SHOULD BE and do it for the same money as the junk cookie cutter cars most makers are throwing at the public and crying that we won't buy them!

Alright, my soap box just collapsed under my weight, I'll stop now. [sm=lol.gif]
Old 11-02-2007, 09:42 AM
DanK69RustangVert
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: palerider

I know what you mean about midwest cars - got 2 myself.If you nknow how to weld which I assume you do it's amazing what you can do with repo tin. Can get almost everyhting you need for 69 except cowl.

I hear ya! Cowl and FULL quarters for the coupe conv., and if you know where I can get the quarter door posts that would save me a lot of refab. I really haven't looked for them yet, but I haven't noticed them in my other looking either.

Quick Reply: Newbie All but owns the name "Rustang" take a look