Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Newbie wants to learn

Old 11-10-2007, 04:31 PM
YoShImUrA

Default Newbie wants to learn

Hi there!

I am a newbie from Europe. I've always loved the classic'Stang (specially the '68 fastback from Bullitt) and now, maybe, with some luck, I will be able to make my dream come true of owning one. I'd like to use it for some street driving on sundays with an ocassional dragat the track.
I am studying yet, so time and specially budget are not very high, but since I'm in no rush to find my perfect "project ready" car (or morelike: a neat bodyshell), first of all I'll try to know this car as best as I can.
So far I know very little of it and that's why I registered. I hope to learn its details on care, rust, problems...and maybe one day, the joy of its drive, the sound, and the whole damn thing!

I'd like to ask a couple of questions. Since I'm very biased to the 67-68 fastback, after sayingthat, I believemy "options list" of engine and box are very wide, but I got one thing clear for sure, it has to be a V8and the gearbox a manual (preferably with only the original 4 gears) but apart from that it doesn't really matter. Since I don't know if an original auto box can be easily converted to manual, is it compulsory to buy an original "manual car" or its quite easy to adapt an auto to being a manual? Same question applied to the V8, if it's originally an auto, can it easily be made a manual? Hope my lack of knowledge doesn't bother anyone but I couldn't find any good reference book. (Btw, would you recommend me any good book or source to learn morabout the 68's history, restoring, tuning, etc?)

Thanks for reading!
YoSh
Old 11-10-2007, 04:52 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Newbie wants to learn

Yosh, welcome to MF! Glad to have you aboard. Where at in Europe exactly are you from?

A 289 would be a common v8 for you to look for. It seems like alot of the classics came automatic, so keep an eye out for a manual, but they sell for alittle bit more than an automatic. You can always convert if you like..Since your new, I would suggest you find a car that is already running decently instead of finding a project car, makes it alot easier.

Good luck hunting.
Nic
Old 11-10-2007, 07:27 PM
cmanf
3rd Gear Member

With the price of petro now I would expect you brits to do the Fast and furious tokyo drift thing. Put a 300zx engine and gear box in it. lol
Just joking with you mate. Fuelie 5.0 for sure daily driver with a tremeck t5. If you wana stay ole school 289-302-351 with a toploader or c4 would get you the muscle car feel.
I have often thought of taking the drive train and suspension from a m5 and putting it a 67-69 fastback. You want what we have here and I want what you guys have lol.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:37 PM
superdavid
4th Gear Member

His thing says he's from Madrid, Spain...

Its a good thing too, cuz Ive been over here in England for 2 months now, and I haven't seen a classic yet. The only Mustang I've seen was an 03/04 vert Cobra.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:04 PM
cmanf
3rd Gear Member

My bad hell its all europe to us southerners. With the Beamers, Mercedes, Bentleys ,Rolls and Italian exotics.
Except for France What he hell is a Citron anyway? that as bad as Corvair! lol
Old 11-10-2007, 08:16 PM
superdavid
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cmanf

Except for France What he hell is a Citron anyway? that as bad as Corvair! lol
lol, not quite... they're worse!
Those and the stinkin Peugot's, the cars out here just have no freakin *****.... can't wait to get back to Texas where the muscle car is king...
Old 11-10-2007, 08:46 PM
cmanf
3rd Gear Member

LOL Swing By Unique and pick You up a nice Shelby! lol
Old 11-10-2007, 10:12 PM
BULLITT GT 390
1st Gear Member

Welcomeyosh its nice to see a BULLITT fanI'm a bullitt fan tohints the name I love the 68 bullitt so much I got one for myself a "67 BULLITT" I love classic cars there all I drive!I know alot about the bullitt mustang
if I can helpI will try mine is a 289 4vwith a c4 auto I was looking for a 4spd but did not find one you just can't find them there rare to find now a days I'm always looking for a manual parts car to convertmine!! its not cheap! if you try to buy the parts from online venders "and someparts have notbin madeyet" to find a well use top loader 4spd will cost you $800 to$1500US.it just not in my budgetso Im keeping the c4 "auto"till I find one.The c4 is a cool trans for a auto!you can shift it like a manually(1-2-3D) like you would to powershift,with out leting off the gas hammering from 1st to 2ed works nicely.

if you have questions feel free to ask hope this helps
Old 11-10-2007, 10:20 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

if i had 16.5k id have a bullit clone my buddy said hed let me buy his 67 i know its not a 8 but close enough "S" code fastback 4 spd it need paint and little nic nacs but its clean

Old 11-10-2007, 10:30 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Whats the name of that green? "Bullitt green" or something different?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Newbie wants to learn