Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

(more help) rack and pinion

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 10:20 PM
109jb
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: (more help) rack and pinion

I'm going to, but I'm not to that point yet. Unfortunately, the project is sidelined for a while too. Will be building a new house in 208 and won't ave any time to work on the Stang. The next things to do are, rebuild the rear end and rear brakes, new front suspension, and then the rack. Once I get back to it it won't be long before I do the rack install, but it probably won't be until next fall.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:21 PM
DanJ

In regards to Mr. Daze's solution about R&Ps that's fine to go search a junkyard for a R&P that might work. If youhave the time and energy to fabricate and troubleshoot a system that MIGHT work in your car then go ahead and put forth the effort. Just trying to save you some time and possibly headaches. Unisteer has a good setup and if you do have problems they have a tech. dept. that is willing to help.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:01 PM
109jb
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DanJ

In regards to Mr. Daze's solution about R&Ps that's fine to go search a junkyard for a R&P that might work. If youhave the time and energy to fabricate and troubleshoot a system that MIGHT work in your car then go ahead and put forth the effort. Just trying to save you some time and possibly headaches. Unisteer has a good setup and if you do have problems they have a tech. dept. that is willing to help.
The GM J-car rack has been used on vintage mustangs before. It isn't a "might work", itWILL MOST DEFINATELY WORK. As a matter of fact, the J-car rack is used in the randal's rack conversion for vintage mustangs. http://www.randallsrack.com/

On top of that, the Unisteer is not without at least some problems as evidenced by this recent post. https://mustangforums.com/m_4281158/tm.htm from ths post, it seems like Unisteer tech support basically said to the owner of the manual transmission mustang that they knew of the problem and he would have to put in a different clutch mechanism. Doesn't sound like they are bending over backward to help. Not that the Unisteer is worse or better than any other, but experiences can differ.

The original poster mentioned that he was in Argentina and would need to install a r&p by trial and error. I assume that is either just what he wants to do or perhaps because importing a kit is prohibitive for some reason. I'm sure the OP knows that there are aftermarket solutions available. Daze and I are trying to help with what he asked for.

John B.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:46 PM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

Last edited by Scott H.; 01-15-2010 at 12:11 AM.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:04 AM
109jb
3rd Gear Member

Using front steer not only requires front steer spindles, but you would also need to put in a rear sump oil pan to replace the original front sump pan.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:47 AM
mustargento

Well, first i like to thank all recomendations .the work is in progress. the rack&pinion of the ranger is being instales at this time. i know there is better choices but here in argentina all is complicated to get as i told you.
Scott, i will post the results, don´´t worry.
thanks
Sergio colombo
buenos aires
argentina
Old 01-06-2008, 07:48 PM
mustargento

well, mr. scott was right. the ranger R&P it´s not suitable for the stang, so i decided to rebuild the stock sterring system, change socks and other stuff. now is driveable but now the problem i have to solve is that the exaust pipes keep banging to the body of the car every time a bump appears.
thanks for your time.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:59 PM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

Sorry to hear that Ranger R & P did not work out for you. Congratulations on rebuilding the original system though. If you are running radial tires, you can take some advantage by increasing your caster to ~ 3 degrees, Camber to -1/2 degree, and toe in about 1/8". This will make the front end feel more stable.
As to the exhaust, an "H" pipe added just behind the transmission pan, and a support before and after the axle should help stabilize this.
1970 Mustang is a beautiful car.Good luck with the project!