Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Why doesn't my engine start?---I need a car.

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 12:24 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Why doesn't my engine start?---I need a car.

I would have to believe that the points on the Monte have been set a few times in the past 20 yrs.

I guess my response was a little vague, I should have said that 1 year is a long time to go without setting the points....

I can remember more than one vehicle that the points had to be set on every 1,000 to 2,000 miles or they ran like ca-ca...

I agree that the choke should be made operational, but I don't think that this is the only issue, the OP more or less said it behaves the same in warm weather....

While any number of issues, or a combination of issuescould be causing this problem, it is my opinion that perhaps the best plan of actionmight begin with the 5 to 15 minutes it takes to adjust the points..... but maybe I am just full of ca-ca....

Another novel idea might be to see if the start circuit is providing the full 12 volts to the coil when the starter is engaged.... Of course this could be done after a carb rebuild, but it might be something a person might want to check before taking this action.... I think I might check this first....

I think that a switch to some kind of electronic ignition might be in order, but from the beginning of this thread it seemed to me as if the OP wants to get his car going asap, (remember his DD is broken).
Old 12-21-2007, 12:47 AM
Bogalu
2nd Gear Member

Daze told me about this one. My car did the exact same thing. Exact same! I was trying to see if my vacume advace was out. So daze told me to take off the wire that goes from the engine to the dizzy. When I did that my car ran just as crappy as yours did right there. I would try that. If it doesn't make any difference then you know your vacume advance is bad. Its a 30 dollar part. Check out my post about my acceleration problems and then when you find it you will see daze and he posted info easy enough to spoon feed so I could check it myself. So try it. Its a 1 minute check and could save you money rather than a carb rebuild.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:47 AM
ninteen66mustang
3rd Gear Member

I am definitely gonna set the points (assuming I can figure it out), and fix the choke. I only have a spark plug gap setter that has values from .64mm to 1mm. Which one do I use? for the points you are supposed to crank the engine till they are farthest apart or something and then set them right?

my gap setter is kind of like this one:

http://www.vtwinmama.com/images/Gauge_Through_Gap.jpg
Old 12-21-2007, 01:13 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Using Oxnards figure of .017 points gap, this equates to .43 mm, so you may need another feeler gage. In absence of this I have often set the points gap using the cover of a matchbook to get the gap close. In a pinch this would probably be close enough to let you know if there is an issue with the points.

What you want to do is to remove the distributor cap, bump the engine with the starter until the 8 sided cam that opens the points is opening the points to their greatest opening, (look at the "wear block" on the points, itneeds tobe sitting on a high point of the 8 sided cam) measure the gap with your feeler gage, (or matchbook cover)adjust the points as needed so that you feeler gage fits snug between the point contacts but is not tight.

If this makes your car start better, then you will have found at least part of your problem.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:28 AM
Oxnard Montalvo
4th Gear Member

Post pictures of the carburetor, maybe we can figure out what's wrong with the choke. Take them from above and from the choke side.

It won't hurt to check the points but I think most of your problem is the choke. How does it run once it's warmed up?

There is a little play in the distributor cam, if you get it close to one of the eight lobes you should be able to turn it one way or the other by hand to hit the high point exactly.

Old 12-21-2007, 09:46 AM
1967inline6MUSTANG
1st Gear Member

i thought everyone adjusted points with a matchbook..
Old 12-21-2007, 11:12 AM
ninteen66mustang
3rd Gear Member

okay, ill check the points and take pics of the carb, and let you guys know how that works out. does anyone know why the carb blows out that puff of gas (in the video)?
Old 12-21-2007, 11:43 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ninteen66mustang

okay, ill check the points and take pics of the carb, and let you guys know how that works out. does anyone know why the carb blows out that puff of gas (in the video)?
Misfire,,,

Imo this misfire is a little too generic to help much with diagnosis... When an engine is running poorly these are common. It could just be a random occurrence at best, and an indication of slipped valve timing at worst.

You should be able to close the choke "manually" for diagnostic (test start) purposes.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:27 PM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

For checking the points, if you have visited a local shop, they may be willing to help you out. I took a few little things to a shop here and the guy never charged for anything hardly, and set my points for free.

EDIT: If you dont have anyone like this, find a decent shop and take little things to them and build up a rapport. Then, simple stuff they will help you out. Alot of shops find the chance to tinker with one of these old cars is a nice change from the new and overly complicated cars.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:52 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bluovalguy

For checking the points, if you have visited a local shop, they may be willing to help you out. I took a few little things to a shop here and the guy never charged for anything hardly, and set my points for free.

EDIT: If you dont have anyone like this, find a decent shop and take little things to them and build up a rapport. Then, simple stuff they will help you out. Alot of shops find the chance to tinker with one of these old cars is a nice change from the new and overly complicated cars.
That is some of the best advise that I have seen on here. A good rapport goes a long way.

Quick Reply: Why doesn't my engine start?---I need a car.