Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

x-mas present but i need help

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 10:17 PM
david45

Default x-mas present but i need help

ok heres the deal guys im a luber goober at the local dealership and ive learned alot but this is beyond me. i know its simple i just dont know how to fine tune.

1. my freinds brock brought a 71 mustange to me about a year ago now with a seized main bearing since then ive rebuilt the engine completely. we bored it out put a stroker kit in. after i got it running kinda rough i drove it too a local mech. so he could re jet the carb an fine tune it. it ran fine for a bit butthen the only part we kept from the old engine (the intake) went. so i replaced the intake with a better one. now im back to the point of it runs and it will go down the road but at high rpm the timing is just a little bit off. it sputters and stuff. this would be feasy to fixbut when i first got the car it never had a timing pointer on the block and a timing light is the only way i know to time a car other than ear and that isnt fine enough. how do i get this dam thing into time. my buddy left for michigan to see family and freinds for the holidays and im watching over his place for him i think it would be a great present to have the car up running and looking good when he gets back ive already replaced the heater core and a bunch of other stuff this is the last thing left to do any help would be great thanks guys.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:21 PM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: x-mas present but i need help

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970-...QQcmdZViewItem

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD-...QQcmdZViewItem

Buy, bolt, tune.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:23 PM
green_blurr
3rd Gear Member

Well i would suggest getting a chiltons manual it will tell you how to time your engine with a timing light. There should be marks on your harmonic balancer and you adjust your engine according to your setup since you have a stroker engine it would be a bit different than the stock setup.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:26 PM
JamesW

I take it you tried the old 'run it up to 2500 rpms and dial the distributor till it peaks, then starts to falter' trick.

From there it's test and tune... (and order the pointer like Nick said)