Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Suspension - Grab-A-Trak Kit ~$500

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 01:33 AM
sanjosebass
1st Gear Member

Default Suspension - Grab-A-Trak Kit ~$500

I know that this has been talked about in the past, but I couldn't find anything on this specific Mustangs Plus kit on any previous threads.

Here is my issue, I am restoring my 65 Coupe with a GT look and since I recently purchased a disc brake conversion kit I thought I would look into getting a tighter handling suspension kit while I was at it.

Here is the one I was looking at on M+...

https://www.mustangsplus.com/xcart/p...at=2080&page=1

I want something firm, not too firm, and sporty. There were some other links to the Grab-A-Trak kits that sell for $800 plus.

Any thoughts or suggestions on this kit? Will I have to modify anything (i.e. cut, weld, move, etc..) while installing this kit? Is this a decent upgrade from stock?

Thanks!
Old 12-24-2007, 08:55 AM
sixtysix
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Suspension - Grab-A-Trak Kit ~$500

I put in the grab a trac suspension kit in-I upgraded to 4 1/2 springs in the back and new shocks....up front I did a completechange.....springs,control arms,tye rods,bushings,sway bar,centerlink....the only problem was center link-idler arm to the frame connection-I told mustang plus to send me everything to redo the whole suspention...They where a few parts short ...had to wait for them in the mail.
I love the suspension...besides putting disc up front,it was the best upgrade for the car...drives great Scott
Old 12-24-2007, 09:30 AM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

I put the grab a trak front and rear in my car also. It is not super sporty, pretty much just a stock replacment. But compared to the 40 year old stuff it replaced, it made a huge difference.

As far as modifications go, you wont have to do anything. It all bolts up to the stock mounting points and is very straight forward. You said this is your first resto, so I would get this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Mustang-Restor.../dp/0895864029

That will pretty much walk you through it. I used it and it was a breeze. Great book!
Old 12-24-2007, 09:58 AM
SalikDDD
3rd Gear Member

i bought the grab a trak kit also but i haven't put it in yet since the rear frame rails aren't on
Old 12-24-2007, 10:38 AM
JamesW

I bought a front 1" sway bar from them and it didn't fit. Between that and their higher than normal prices, I've not been a fan of M+.

The rear sway bar and 1" front bar are overkill for a street car. Find a 7/8" or 15/16" and skip the back. 620lb springs and KYB gas shocks together will be rough riding. Consider GT Springs (500lb) and GR2 shocks.Also stay away from the Poly bushings. They squeak terribly.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:46 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Yeah, I have a problem with the fact that they don't offer anything besides poly bushings in their kits. You'd think they'd offer at least rubber, if not polygraphite or midolyne.
Old 12-24-2007, 11:08 AM
F14chuck
1st Gear Member

+1 on poly squeaking. A little silicon spray on my sway bar bushings (the only poly on my car)will minimizethe noise for a while.
Old 12-24-2007, 11:08 AM
sanjosebass
1st Gear Member

As always, this is good stuff. I had read about the poly's getting squeaky and as we all know, I definitely don't want that.

Do you guys know of any other places that offer kits around the same price with better results? I heard about Laurel Mountain but I think they were more pricey....

Let me know. Thanks!

Old 12-24-2007, 11:11 AM
Daze
3rd Gear Member

IMHO the rear sway bar is not needed for a street car, I would avoid poly bushings like the pleague, and the 620 coil springs are to heavy. Rear sway bars are nice but are more racing orented Also not all rear sway bars are created equally and I know a lot of people that have had problems with certin types of them.. Poly tends to make the ride harsh, does not let the suspension move freely and worst of all it squeeeeeeeeeeks. As far as the springs some people like the end result of the 620 springs but I have known a tone of people including my self that have put them on and then replaced them with lighter springs. Some of the best advise I ever got as far as springs go is to go with a slight performance spring like the GT spring and then run performance shocks such as KBY. IF you want it to handle really well consider this list, the following mods are in order of cost/improvement benefits so the top ones will be the best bang for your buck.

1. UCA 1" drop
2. Performance alignment NOT TO FORDS SPECS!!!!!
3. Roller Spring Perches
4. Adjustable strut rods
5. Reasonable springs in the 500# range with performance shocks like KBY
6. 1" sway bar
7. Sub-frame connectors
8. Export brace
9. Monte-Carlo
10. R&P steering
11. 1.75" UCA drop including negative wedge kit, in place of the 1" drop
12. Aftermarket control arms
13. Coil over suspensions
14. Bump steer kit of some kind.

In the case of my car I have everything above the ********** line, and my car rides like it is on rails. I can accelerate in to a tight corner at 100+ MPH and come out the other side going 125 AND it is still comfortable to drive with out feeling every bump in the road. I am going to be upgrading to a front coil over set up I am building but the only reason I am doing that is because I want the front suspension to match the IRS I am putting in the rear.

ALSO before starting any suspension mods on a first generation Mustang I recommend reading my web page on improving suspension and eliminating bump steer
Old 12-24-2007, 11:13 AM
Daze
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: F14chuck

+1 on poly squeaking. A little silicon spray on my sway bar bushings (the only poly on my car) will minimize the noise for a while.
For best results I would not buy a kit and select each component a piece at a time.

Quick Reply: Suspension - Grab-A-Trak Kit ~$500