Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

what do i look for in a car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 04:13 AM

Default what do i look for in a car?

I am looking to buy a 65 or 66 mustang but i dont know what i should get. Some are 10k and some are 19k but i dont know what the difference is when they both say fully restored. I have seen a few with a built 302 in them so i am thinking they are easier to upgrade and supercharge. I am also in AZ and wondering how hard it is to get the 67 and newer cars to pass emissions.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:02 AM
Arcticspook
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: what do i look for in a car?

You need to ask yourself some questions...
Why are you buying one?
Are you going to use it as a daily driver or just a weekend car?
Do you want to buy one that is restored or do you want to restore one yourself?

These are just a few to get you started. I am sure others will chime in with more pointers.

Check AZ law for emissions. In most states classic vehicles do not have to undergo emissions testing
Old 12-27-2007, 07:54 AM
Oxnard Montalvo
4th Gear Member

How a car is optioned plays a role in the price, but the biggest thing to look for is RUST. Mechanical components, while not always cheap, are easy to replace. Rust repair will break the bank if it's extensive and make a car that seemed like a bargain turn into a money pit. Get on your back, grab a flashlight and go under any car you are considering to check for rust or lousy repairs.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:04 AM
dnswwood
2nd Gear Member

If you decide to restore it yourself or have it restored you need to look for RUST.I took a magnet and an old t-shirt with me to check foreccesive putty on the body.Check the front floorboards for rust.If there is a lot of rust in the floorpan chances are the cowl pan is rusted out or has holes in it.You can pour water in the hood cowl and look to see if it leaks into the floorboard.That is a time consuming and expensive fix.Look the trunk over real well for rust.One otherplace to look is under the hood,look at the wiring real well.If its all "spliced" up there may be wiring problems.Check all the guages and instrument panels to see what does and or doesnt work.Check all the lights /brake lights ect.

OH,DidI mention to check for RUST!!!!!???

After that,Look for MORE RUST!!!!

That should get you started ,I'm sure others will chime in with more ideas of things to look for.Owning a classic Mustang is a lot of fun,so is working on them.Just be sure to understand the expence of restoring ANY classic car.Good luck hope and I hopeyou have as much fun with "your mustang" asI do with mine.
Jeff
Old 12-27-2007, 03:46 PM

ok so rust is a big thing hehe. I want one because i like the older style mustangs. I want one that is already restored. Or restored with the interior left to be done. However, all of the ones i have found online have perfect looking interiors. Like i said before I am in AZ so i dont know how much rust i will find if the car is from here. I know cars do come from cali over here.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:41 PM
ninteen66mustang
3rd Gear Member

Dont think that you need the car to be restored. I got mine for 5000 and everything but the interior was in great shape. It had been 'restored' by someone who didnt really know what they were doing somtime in the 80s or so. The paint was good and everything. The key is to just look, and look, and look to make sure you are getting what you want.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:28 PM

Ok ill look at some cheaper ones first.. can the 289 be supercharged easily after building a stronger block?

Ok i found something... If i can find a built or semi built 289 block mustang in good condition I can put a paxton supercharger for about 4k so i think that is what i am gonna do... So I am gonna look for a 66 that is less then 10k. thanks for all your help!
Old 12-27-2007, 09:11 PM
five pt oh
2nd Gear Member

You might want to test drive some before you get all excited about superchargers. Once youfeel the steering, suspension, and brakes are on a typical (cheaper) classic mustang, you might reconsider your desire to give it all that hp.

In other words, you wouldn't catch me behind the wheel of a 300+ hp 1960s mustang that still has stock suspension and brakes.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:25 PM

hmm i will have to think about that and see whats out there then.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:35 PM
eZ
5th Gear Member

yea if your going to super charge you want all new suspension and without a doubt some good disc brakes.

Quick Reply: what do i look for in a car?