Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Problem removing my front seats..

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 07:33 PM
kryo
1st Gear Member

Default Problem removing my front seats..

I have the shop manual for my '65 Coupe and it says that I can release the seat from the slide rails by just pulling the very inconveniently placed spring thing underneath the seat.. well my friend pulled it and it snapped off. So, I prompted to just take out the slide rails and everything.. so I go underneath the car and take out the plugs which supposidly cover the bolts I need to take out. Well, there were no bolts under any of the plugs (just a hole that is covered up by another piece of metal somewhere.. but there were rings around the holes which showed previous bolts in them) but there was a hole inbetween the plugs on both sides with a nut and bolt. After about 15 minutes of finding a socket long enough to get to the nut, I get them both out and I pull up on the seat.. well, the front end came up but the back of the seat is completely set. There is nothing under the car that is to be taken out except this oddly shaped oval which is covered up by a piece of metal. It looks like it had a plug in it at one point but I have no idea. I do know that the previous owner (or the owner before that) did whatever he wanted to the car so the shop manual can only help so much.. I'll host some pictures of under the car if no one knows whats holding it down. Thanks for the help!

BTW, I'm talking about the buckets in the front.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:36 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Problem removing my front seats..

There are 4 bolts (actually studs and nuts) on each seat... 2 front 2 rear. By removing these 4 nuts, (8 total), the seats should come right up and out....

There should be 2 covers about 18" behind the front covers, if they are covered you will need to remove what is covering them or cut a hole in the installed metal.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:43 PM
kryo
1st Gear Member

Damn.. I really didn't want to cut through metal. []
Old 12-26-2007, 07:54 PM
colostang
2nd Gear Member

I would bet that nobody would have covered these holes up. I cannot think of a reason why this would happen. There should be four large holes, and about 2.5" inside those large holes is a 7/16" (if I recall correctly, may be 1/2") nut on a stud. These are the only fasteners that hold in your seat. Be careful when removing them because it is real easy to lose the nut and then it is floating around on top of the pan and you have to go fishing for it with a magnet. If the holes are gone check the other pan and see if there are holes there, that would give you a good starting point if you needed to get a holesaw out and drill new access holes.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:36 PM
kryo
1st Gear Member

Yeah, I found the first two 1/2 nuts in a hole inbetween the two plugs.. the plugs literally were covering nothing. Underneath the plugs was a hole which looked to have something in it at one point (the areas around the holes had ring marks, etc.) but were covered up with a layer on top of metal. I looked on the back side and there were no holes to unscrew the other nuts. I am going to try and go back out there tonight in the cold because I am really pissed about this. Thanks for all the help though!
Old 12-30-2007, 05:13 PM
mustanglover66
4th Gear Member

Does this pic help any the bolt holes for the seat are the four above where the bracing crosses

[IMG]local://upfiles/33399/E975F286E5844A16AFC54D25C7460CFD.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-30-2007, 05:49 PM
kryo
1st Gear Member

I actually already found out how to do it. Somewhere along it's 47 year life, one of its owners actually welded on some new seat racks so he could move his seat farther backwards. Must have been a tall guy! Anyway, he didn't drill through the new seat racks in the back like he should have but rather just bolted the seat down onto the rest of the metal sticking out (almost touching the backseat). I actually have some pictures of it as I was tearing apart the inside of my car so they will be up shortly.

And to my avail, both floor pans are in good shape! Neither have any rust holes or anything, just minor rust which should come off easily. I am the happiest kid alive right now.