Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Oil in coolant?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 12:34 PM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

Default Oil in coolant?

I finally got around to replacing my leaking radiator today. When I cut the lower hose off, a large clump of oil and reddish deposits fell out of the hose along with some drops of oil. I am thinking the head gasket is probably bad. What is the best way to test this? Also, could it be something else causing it that I could check for? Thanks much!!
Old 12-31-2007, 12:42 PM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Oil in coolant?

Kinda hard to see the oil.

This is the lower hose.

Old 12-31-2007, 01:09 PM
69thunder
2nd Gear Member

If your head gasket is bad you will find a white creamy substance on the dipstick plus the car would have some overheating issues. Leak down test or pressurize the cylinder while looking at filler neck on the radiator. If you see bubbles in the coolant head gasket is bad.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:12 PM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

No overheating at all, and the dipstick is always normal. I have never seen coolant in the oil, just oil in the coolant.

When I get the new radiator in I will check for bubbles.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:56 PM
golden_eye
3rd Gear Member

Are you sure it's oil? When I replaced the originalradiator (from 1988)in my trucka couple yearsback it had a ton of brown sludge in it, but it wasn't oil. I may be just buildup over time but I don't know how old your radiator is.Mine was bad though, no wonder the thing kept overheating whenever I went above 60 .
Old 12-31-2007, 02:06 PM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

Pretty sure it is. I dont have any overheating issues.

More good news, my new (used) radiator is to big, so now I have to use the old one if the shop can repair it.
Old 01-01-2008, 12:37 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Do a compression check on every cylinder thats the only way to find a head gasket leak with out pulling the heads.
Old 01-01-2008, 02:18 PM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

Last edited by Scott H.; 01-14-2010 at 11:56 PM.
Old 01-01-2008, 02:30 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Also, the PO may have used "Stop Leak",,,, this leaves nasty stuff in the cooling system.

As mentioned, it is pretty hard to get oil in the coolant unless you are running an "oil to water" oil cooler, and I doubt that you are running one. I don't recall seeing these on any car except for 3rd genCamaros and Firebirds...

In order for the oil to get into the water there usually needs to be a path wherepressurizedoil can be passed directly into the coolant. Short of an oil gallery opening intoa water jacket, (never heard of this, but might be possible?) I can't think of any other place on a SBF where this could possibly happen, especially since your oil is clean.
Old 01-01-2008, 02:54 PM
golden_eye
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JMD

Also, the PO may have used "Stop Leak",,,, this leaves nasty stuff in the cooling system.

As mentioned, it is pretty hard to get oil in the coolant unless you are running an "oil to water" oil cooler, and I doubt that you are running one. I don't recall seeing these on any car except for 3rd genCamaros and Firebirds...

In order for the oil to get into the water there usually needs to be a path wherepressurizedoil can be passed directly into the coolant. Short of an oil gallery opening intoa water jacket, (never heard of this, but might be possible?) I can't think of any other place on a SBF where this could possibly happen, especially since your oil is clean.
+1 on the Stop Leak. I'm almost positive that's what caused the sludge buildup in my truck's radiator I mentioned earlier.

The SSPMustangs and SVTCobras also ran oil-to-water oil coolers. I know mine has one.

Quick Reply: Oil in coolant?