Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Sound deadening photos

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 07:54 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Default Sound deadening photos

Every so often I see a topic here in the classic section about sound deadening and how much is needed for our cars. I just finished off a 50sqft roll and thought I'd post some photos to show how far 50sqft can go. Keep in mind there is plenty of overlapping and the transmission section is doubled over, so 50 is definitly enough to do the cabin floor...

I have another 50ft roll that Im going to do the roof, trunk, and some other oddball things.

Now, my own question. Why are there so many grooves in the floor? Wouldnt a flatter floor be easier and cheaper from the factory?

Nic
Old 01-01-2008, 07:58 PM
ky
America ftw

Default RE: Sound deadening photos

the creases strengthen the metal. looks nice. i just bought this kit from mustangsplus and am hopefully gonna put it in soon.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:05 PM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

[align=left]That looks great. I would imagine the grooves or creases are there for structural purposes. If the pan were flat it would flex or bend easily. Add some creases and it stiffens it right up. They use that proceedure on many manufactured items.
[/align][align=left] [/align]
Old 01-01-2008, 08:08 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

looks like you did a really nice job on it Nic, looks great. This stuff really does go a long way, and I'm sure you'll have the perfect amount if you do the trunk and roof.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:40 PM
deebo68
1st Gear Member

Looks like you used fatman, where and how much$ did the 100sqft cost?

Have you noticed any differance, and how do you feel about the quality of the product?

Deebo
Old 01-01-2008, 08:43 PM
Nosboss

I too am wondering what it cost's for 100sq ft.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:15 PM
Kramer
2nd Gear Member

don't forget the doors
Old 01-01-2008, 09:16 PM
ky
America ftw

and windows

[8D]
Old 01-01-2008, 09:37 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deebo68
Looks like you used fatman, where and how much$ did the 100sqft cost?
Have you noticed any differance, and how do you feel about the quality of the product?
Deebo
Deebo,actually at first I wasn't considering Fatmat. I researchedmany brands of sound deadeners and found thatfor the most part they are the same (except for price). The main thing to look for is thethickness. I was considering Dynamat at first butnowI feel it isway overrated for the price. I actually got this off of ebay.This one was 79.94$ shipped (cant beat that) although other listing for the same thing were as high as 120 shipped, solook before u buy.

Although I cant actually test the product (car isnt running), it feels like good stuff. Only complaint I have is the damn blue logocomes off alittle while your smoothing it out, turning you smurfish.

That looks great. I would imagine the grooves or creases are there for structural purposes. If the pan were flat it would flex or bend easily. Add some creases and it stiffens it right up. They use that proceedure on many manufactured items.
I guess that makes sense, haha.

don't forget the doors
Yes, thats going to be the difficult part if I actually do it. I have the window mechanisms in the doors and quarter panels, and its hard as hell to get in those areas.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:28 PM
EGaillard

Looks great.

I completed my dynamat install this past weekend. I used the dynamat extreme and am impressed with the quality. I was glad I got the roller to smooth thing out. I will post pictures before the weekend.

Quick Reply: Sound deadening photos