Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

custom autosound rear speaker system

Old 01-02-2008, 05:56 PM
bradleyb
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: custom autosound rear speaker system

1981 is a long time ago, guess that why the kids say I am old

$30 is cheap to do anything, yep, maybe we get some vinyl and match it to the headliner maybe

Thanks guys!
Old 01-02-2008, 06:10 PM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bradleyb

1981 is a long time ago, guess that why the kids say I am old

I didnt mean it like that, I aint no spring chicken myself
Old 01-02-2008, 11:13 PM
djsprinklesnjo
2nd Gear Member

as a car audio guru to some extent, id advise on not buying those already made speaker bar setups, or non name brand stuff. but again depends on what your goal is. if you have no stereo or speakers at all, obviously anything will do. however a set of inifniti components will sound 100% better than those premade systems. i especially laugh at the ones they sell in the back of the mustang magazines. and so expensive for such overrated, low power amps/speakers.

although i do not have a stereo in my mustang for any of you to hear if you live close by, your more than welcome to check out my fabrication work on other vehichles ive worked on, if you need pics or the website just ask, and if anyone needs help or advice on building, or upholstering something let me know, id love to help out everyone, since so many people offer me advice. id love to give back to the community.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:21 PM
restomod@16
2nd Gear Member

Yea the premade setups are such a gimmick. Overly priced pieces of ****. Trust me its 100% better to get brand name speakers from people who have been working on automotive audio for years to come. I have Pioneer (6x9) out back and Rocksford (6") up front. The car is 2x as loud as it would be just from the exhaust. It is amazing how much of a difference it makes when you add some quality speakers.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:56 AM
dugan
2nd Gear Member

all of my bass comes from my exhaust..
Old 01-03-2008, 11:57 AM
ninteen66mustang
3rd Gear Member

Here is what I have in my package tray so you can get some ideas, I also have the Custom Autosound USA1.

I screwed two kenwood 6x9's into pieces of wood that had the oval cut out of them, and then screwed those pieces of wood to the metal of the package tray from the trunk. After that I was able to screw the speaker grill to the package tray so it looked nice. This setup has great sound because there are tweeters in the speaker, and the speaker itself puts out good bass cuz it has the whole trunk as a sound compartment. Then I have 2 3" kenwoods in the front speaker oval. It can get fairly loud with the stereo, and if you dont like really loud music, its plenty.

Now I have a question for you. Can you hook a sub to the USA1? In the instructions I saw a 'line out' labeled that I would assume you could hook an amp to, and then hook the sub to the amp. I dont know much about amps and subs or anything so im not sure...
Old 01-03-2008, 01:04 PM
bradleyb
3rd Gear Member

Thanks guys. I think you should be able to hook up a sub to the line out - my sub is a self-powered unit I picked up in Akihabara (electronic town section of Tokyo). Usually, the self-powered Bazooka's sound lousy but when I heard this thing in Tokyo, I was blown away - it pounded the whole store. I had this in a minivan in Japan and it made the whole thing vibrate, including the mirrors - my son loved it but it was a bit much for me personally (he listens to rap, I prefer the Dead)