Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

What my Mustang means to me.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 08:58 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Default What my Mustang means to me.

A young MF'er over in OT was tasked with writing an essay so he chose to write about what his Mustang means to him. Feeling inspired I thought I'd pen my own response and I posted it in his thread.

I'm nobodys author, but I thought it wasn't half bad for an off the cuff essay so I thought I'd share it here in the Classics where more owners can appreciate what I am writing about.
It goes something like this:

My fastback has been in my family for close to 20 years now. My brother owned it for about 10 and I have owned it for the past 10, so we have turned 90% of the nuts and bolts on it at some point or another.

I love the extra crisp sound of the exhaust when I start it in the mornings. The Holley 650 with the mechanical secondarys is a crude and unapologetic fuel delivery system that satisfies supremely.My own creation of a dual-snorkle 1985 Mustang air cleaner minus the snorkles with a 13" Chrome element still makes me smile. My Cobra-Jet dual alternator pulley setup has a cool factor that is off the charts while offering added reliability and in that same vain, I love the fact that all of my brackets and pulleys are 100% period correct part #s stamped on them. I love the fact that it has the washer bag instead of the plastic jug.The dead-nuts reliability of my Dura-spark ignition instills confidence that it will start no matter how far I am from home.

I love the smell of the factory black interior. Watching the tachometermatch my revs on the Shelby cluster is a sight to behold and knowing thatthe clock keeps perfect time is somehow comforting. I love the upper and lower consoles even though there usefullnessis almost purely cosmetic. Operating the choke cable that Irecovered from a 68 Fairlane is a simple pleasure that one needs to feel to appreciate. My 72 Mustang highback seats are a great period correct upgrade that matches the factory shoulder seatbelts nicely. My 1964 T-Bird interior door handles look beautiful and are the same as the 65 Pony Interior handlesbut with a black camera case finish. The tilt-steering column adds a suprising bit of comfort on long trips.

Turning on my 1968 GT fog lights with the factory switch is sure to elicit asmile from even the most staid car enthusiast and I never tire of watching my blinkersflash in my turn signal hood.

TheRack& Pinion setup Iinstalled is nothing short of brilliant and the Granada disc brakes Iinstalled make sure she stops straight and true. The American Racer Bullitt wheels with the perfectly sized tires andthe Shelby 1" drop is a combination that is absolutely pleasing to the eye.

Truth be told, sometimes I just sit in the car or stand in the yardtaking it all in.

But it is just abucket of bolts when it comes right down to it. Got 30K? You can have it.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:19 AM
fast65
5th Gear Member

Default RE: What my Mustang means to me.

What my car means to me is place to get away from the world. When I'm in it I can get away from the pressures of the day and be myself. It reminds me of where I come from and the values my parents have enstilled in me.

Edit: My Mustang was also my first car and I never plan on selling it.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:36 AM
Mustangdemon67
4th Gear Member

my 67is my first car, and i hope i never fall on hard times when i would have to sell it. its a part of me
Old 01-29-2008, 04:17 PM
dugan
2nd Gear Member

my 67 coupe is my first car, and i hope to hold onto it forever.
i still can't believe i have it.
to me it represents everything about me and my life. its free spirt, badass attitude, and its fun to be in...
sometimes i will just go sit in it and smile.
everytime i look at it i just smile, and think how lucky i am my dad bought me it =]
Old 01-29-2008, 06:40 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

My 67 is my first car, and I'm not going to sell it. Bought this car few months after turning 15. So i have had itfor almost a yearand got attached i guess you could say. Love to just turn it on and listen to the car run. I makes me think about how good of a car i have and how others dont have a classic.[sm=happy046.gif]
Old 01-29-2008, 07:02 PM
dirtydave289
3rd Gear Member

everything
my '66 is my first car
got it around 14-15 and it's nearing done now that i'm 16
Old 01-29-2008, 07:05 PM
slick66stang
3rd Gear Member

i got my car when i turned 16 we had it since i was 14. its my only car and my daily driver, through out the good and bad my car has been there and has never comlained.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:30 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

my mach 1 is my first car as well, means a lot to me. There have been a lot of good memories instilled in it already with my father, friends and just having fun working on it myself.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:49 PM
musnicki
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fastbackford351

Turning on my 1968 GT fog lights with the factory switch is sure to elicit asmile from even the most staid car enthusiast and I never tire of watching my blinkersflash in my turn signal hood.
Too true! I have a 67' but it's all the same to me. I'm actually thinking about getting a Shelby style scoop hood but I really don't want to say good bye to the blinkers....
Old 01-29-2008, 09:11 PM
anj33

my 70 coupe was purchased new by my grandparents. my mother was driven to the hospital to give birth to me in this car. luckily they kept it until i was old enough to drive! i got the car as a 14th b-day present and did a few odds and end things to get it ready over the next couple of years. my grandfather owned a bodyshop so i had access to a lot of tools. and even at 14 i somewhat knew what i was doing. i drove this car all thru highschool and had to park it back in 92 before i joined the army.my grandfather passed away while i was in the army and my grandmother had to sell the farm and old bodyshop to keep things going. i went to great measures to keep this car during these times. now that my wife and i have a home with a garage i can get back to work! needless to say...this car means the world to me. i really hope to get it back in good shape soon so my grandmother (now in assisted living) can see it. maybe even take a ride!