Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Master Cylinder replacement; single to dual

Old 01-29-2008, 07:53 PM
blazerdup
1st Gear Member

Default Master Cylinder replacement; single to dual

I have a 65 6 cylinder with single resevoir master cylinder. I need to replace it again and want to change it to a dual resevoir master cylinder and possibly even add a booster to it.

I need to know what other vehicles have a Master Cylinder and booster that I can use to swap mine out? Can I buy this from the autoparts store or do I need to go straight to the junkyard?

What else should I look for when swapping this out?

thanks
Old 01-29-2008, 07:59 PM
JamesW

Default RE: Master Cylinder replacement; single to dual

You can do this swap inexpensively using a 67 Mustang dual drum/drum master cylinder. Going to power brakes poses more problems and a significant increase in cost.

Check out www.mustangsteve.com
Old 01-30-2008, 04:14 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

Hiya,

I'd never get a master brake cylinder or wheel brake cylinder from scrapyard.
Let's say the owner dumped DOT5 brake fluid in there and that will make a mess out of your brake system then.
You won't know if the thing functions properly until you have to press those brakes hard. But that's my opinion.

To your question:
I investigated on that for some time as well as I have single master. So I'll end up with the discbrakeswap.com kit at te same time as I get my rear axle replaced.

If you purely want to convert to dual (without going for discs), then you can buy them at NPD etc.
If you have a manual gearbox setup, then you'll have problems fitting the booster in becuase of the engine crossmember brace. You'll have to notch those, which I think is a bad idea as they're weak anyway.
At least that's what _everyone_ who sells those has told me (notch crossmember) ....

Kalli

Old 01-30-2008, 07:40 AM
mySAVIOReigns
3rd Gear Member

I have a booster which I still haven't put in, and I can't decide if I'm even going to. I have heard from several people that since the booster runs off of vacuum, if your car dies while driving, you only get about 1 more push of the brakes, then you're screwed.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:54 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

booster with no vacuum is the exact same as no booster.
When the engine is running then all ok. once the engine stops yopu can use the vacuum you still have. after 2 or 3 poedal pushes you'll be out of vacuum and then it works the _exact_ same as without any booster.
so from this it's better to have one then not to have one. But if it means cutting crossmember braces on a very weak front I'd rather give it a skip. as far as I know thsi only applies to 65models with manual gearbox

Kalli
Old 01-31-2008, 10:55 AM
wsovonick
1st Gear Member

I upgraded to a dual bowl (non-power, all drum) in my 65 I-6convertible last year. CJ Pony has all the parts you need (not that expensive) as well as a nice little "how-to" on their tech page. Below is the link. If you want to go quick and easy w/o the booster, here it is.

Good luck!

http://www.cjponyparts.com/NewTechDualMC.aspx