Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

battery charger and starting the car

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 11:31 PM
warofwords

Default battery charger and starting the car

So today like an idiot I forgot I had my battery charger connected to the car and went to fire her up. When I did it, it just clicked once and the indoor light went off from the door. Any idea what I did to the car? I cant start it at all.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:52 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

Default RE: battery charger and starting the car

i never knew there could be a problem when the charger is still hooked up when starting a car.
it's the exact same as when jumpstarting a car. just a charger, not a 2nd car ...

what _might_ have happened is that your battery never really charged and when starting you overloaded the charger, so the chargers fuse went. No charge at all anymore->can't start.

I'd check on:
a) disconnect the charger, see if that still works (measure voltage and fuse)
b) check voltage directly on your battery (without the key in ignition). just to see if the battery is any good.
c) check the fuses in car as well, just ot be sure

hope that makes sense.

Kalli

Old 01-30-2008, 12:03 PM
warofwords

ORIGINAL: kalli

i never knew there could be a problem when the charger is still hooked up when starting a car.
it's the exact same as when jumpstarting a car. just a charger, not a 2nd car ...

what _might_ have happened is that your battery never really charged and when starting you overloaded the charger, so the chargers fuse went. No charge at all anymore->can't start.

I'd check on:
a) disconnect the charger, see if that still works (measure voltage and fuse)
b) check voltage directly on your battery (without the key in ignition). just to see if the battery is any good.
c) check the fuses in car as well, just ot be sure

hope that makes sense.

Kalli

Thanks for the help. Wow, I feel like an idiot. This morning I just unplugged the battery and reattached it and the car worked fine. I must of been really tired last night when working on the car.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:21 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

I would say that your original issue was caused by a bad connection somewhere in the primary battery circuit, (Battery Cables).

Likely between the battery and the solenoid on the + side,

or from the battery to the engine on the - side.

Your symptoms are classic for a poor connection on the big wires, and unless you handled the issue when you put the battery back in (accidentally or on purpose)it will probably come back whe you least expect it!

If your cables have the "universal" ends on the cables where they hook to the battery I would start right there.