Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Where has your car left you?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 12:18 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Where has your car left you?

It didn't happen in a Mustang, but I think I've got a pretty good one.

The 626 (that I still have and autocross with) decided to shed its timing belt about a thousand miles after I had replaced it to prevent just that from happening. Turned out the tensioner was bad. It happened as my wife, our oldest granddaughter (then 3) and I were traveling north on I-95 at about the state line between North Carolina and South Carolina.

We live in New Jersey, over 500 miles from where the car died.

Cost me a one-way U-haul truck and trailer rental. Plus a few $ to a particularly helpful motorist.

Norm

[IMG]local://upfiles/62186/E4A0F320153E4F42B25F07990128A624.jpg[/IMG]
Old 02-01-2008, 12:19 PM
blue66mustang
2nd Gear Member

Dead on the side of a four lane highway.
Picked up a huge dose of rust out of the fuel tank. Bought the car last April and this was the first real long drive after putting the new carb and manifold onto it. Luckly I had some tools in the glove box to clean out the fuel filter I justhappened to replace with a newone. Took 3 stops to get it home. Replaced the fuel tank, pump and lines the next week.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:25 PM
mySAVIOReigns
3rd Gear Member

Oh I have another good one

I was driving my old chevy pickup home after deer hunting. I know, it's not a mustang, but I sold it to get the Mustang, sooo...it's related

I was out in the middle of nowhere coming back from East Texas. I hit some huge steel plate in the road, and it blew the right rear tire. Instead of the tire coming off, it "peeled". So as I'm slowing down, there's a huge flap of rubber swinging around smacking everything it can. It nailed the fender many times, and tore off all my trim. It then did the worst. Came around, wrapped around the tailpipe, and whipped it 180* choking it shut. it then just kinda died. I got out my cell phone to call my grandpa who was about 20 miles away, because my spare was pretty flat. No signal. Raised it up in the air, no signal. Climbed in the bed, no signal. Stood on the roof, with arms reaching for the heavens...no signal...lol. I ended up ripping off the exhaust pipe, and driving 10 mph with a flat tire until I reached the next service station about 10 miles away.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:32 PM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

I have a truck in East Texas story. When I was in high school I had a 80 F-150 with a 400 4x4. It was a fun truck. One winter, it rained like 20 inches in one week, flooding all the rivers. We headed out to my hunting lease on the Neces River to play. Went thru some serious waterup tothe floor boards on the way in. Played in the mud, got stuck in a stump hole. Winched the truck out and blew the solenoid, which happened everytime we used the winch much so I had a spare. On the way out, we forgot water runs down river. The water had risen a few inches while we played and drowned the truck. Had to hike out and get the land riders tractor to pull it to the highway. It started right up the next day.

That's right, that truck did not like get wet either!
Old 02-01-2008, 02:47 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

My fastback has never left me stranded per se. I have had to effect road-side repairs on occasion but nothing that couldn't be overcome with knowhow and a decent "Oh-$hit Kit",aka. toolbox. (furiously knocking on wood)

Old 02-01-2008, 03:11 PM
RolandT3Speed
2nd Gear Member

When I was 16 I drove my '65 Coupe (I6 3 speed) from Seattle to Arkansas. The car was loaded with everything I owned at the time.
My father was just dead sure the car wouldn't make it.
I, on the other hand, having way more faith than brains, assured him the car would make it.
He said if the car died en route he wouldn't pay to fix it and I'd have to take a bus the rest of the way.
(I don't think he was really serious but that's what he told me then.)

Long story short I made the trip at a top speed of 55-60 mph.
I remember passing through downtown Denver at 5pm. I was sandwiched between two semis with the pedal to floor scared to death.
I remember going up the Rockies at about 40mph with one eye glued to the temp gauge then coasting in neutral for what seemed like 30 miles coming down the other side.
I rolled through Salt Lake City on the 4th of July and it was 110°. I had no A/C.
I arrived in Arkansas successfully and two weeks later the POS 2.77 transmission broke.

I had a few more notable adventures in the car while I was in high school but no matter what it never left me stranded! I paid $300 for that car in 1979.

Oh, and I have several classic trucks-sunk-in-the-mud stories.

Old 02-01-2008, 04:24 PM
JBradley500
3rd Gear Member

i drove my mustang to prom the day it got done...new brakes, carb out of adjustment, old solenoid and me never driving the car on the street much something was prone to happen.

i was on the 4 lane in town and the main red light decided to switch. i hit the brakes and they grabbed pretty hard, the carb snuffed the engine and it stalled...well hell, of course the solenoid wont work now and there i am stalled on the 4 lane. i pushed it to the next streeet and of course i see all of the girls coming back from gettting their hair done and they are pointing ect...i grabbed 2 screw drivers and jumped the solenoid after my old man came up with them, and i got a new solenoid and voltage regulator the next weekend.

good times, good times.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:37 PM
bodyputtyless
3rd Gear Member

In 1983 I was taking my Father to a Baltimore Colt game in October. It was the same day as game 5 of the World Series between the Baltimore orioles and the Phillies. The plan was to go to the football game and then be home in time to watch what could be the final game of the series. I was the first car in the left lane on 33rd street,adjacent to the stadium. My 70 Mach 1 just stopped. I tried to turn her over but she wouldn't fire. A city tow truck pushed me into the parking lot. My Dad figured it had flooded so we went to the game. When the game was over, I tried to start my car but it still wouldn't fire. I determined that the timing chain had let loose at the 155,000 mark on the odometer. Being it was Sunday ,the cops sent for a private tower. I had to sit in the tow truck while holding the passenger side door with my arm so it wouldn't open. The, the tow truck driver, with my car hooked up on the back, needed to pull into a gas staion to get some gas. By the time we made it home ther was about three innings left in the baseball game. Thats the only time I have been left stranded by any Ford in my life.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:53 PM
ninteen66mustang
3rd Gear Member

Where has mine left me stranded, well here we go:

1- Up my street. Not a big deal right? There was a huge streak of oil trailing for about 100 feet behind me, and one particularly huge puddle under my engine compartment. I said a few choice 4 letter words at the top of my lungs cuz I thought I had damaged the engine by running it without any oil. turned out that a crappy oil filter had the gasket come off, so there were 2 gaskets and the old one blew. The car sat in my driveway for a couple months cuz I had no idea what was wrong with it, which led to its current state of not running-ness.

2- Middle of an intersection. NOT COOL i was turning left and after getting me like 10 feet into the intersection, it died. I didnt have enough speed to to thru, so i just sat there trying to start it until the light turned red and a guy helped me push it onto a side street.

3- Dollhouse parking lot. My gas gauge was messed up, it showed like a third of a tank, but I was out and it happened to run out of gas right out of a dolly store!

4-Almost left me stranded at my local high school drags many times. The carb and points and stuff were messed up so if the car wasnt warm or if it was too warm it wouldnt start. i had to sit in the tech lines for a min or two just revving the engine to get it warmed up. not the best thing for tech guys to see, but i won an award for my car looking good! Then all my friends left and i had a lot of trouble starting it again.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:50 PM
EmperorOfChicken
5th Gear Member

I was bookin on the tollroad (115ish in a 55[8D]) and right by a high school with tons of blonde chicks stretching for soccer...right as i was comin up to where they were BLAM! blew a radiator hose, cars howling steam everywhere and fluid flyin...i exited and the only place I could go was the parking lot....of the school where those chicks were stretchin...about 30 feet away...that was...fun...[:@]

Quick Reply: Where has your car left you?