Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Even a home built coil over front suspension can look SWEET!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 11:02 PM
Daze
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Even a home built coil over front suspension can look SWEET!!!!

ORIGINAL: eZ

Daze you crack me up man. I bet youd be fun to drink some beers with! we could sit there and stare at our stangs an say.."hey I wonder if we do..."
beer would be good but coffie would be better. How else can I keep the gears in my head spinning at full speed to design stuff
Old 02-07-2008, 11:31 PM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

"If it aint broke..... modify it anyway!!!! "

Now thats funny.. I dont care who you are.. And after seeing what you can do, Ive got to agree with it..
Old 02-07-2008, 11:53 PM
flyingfool
3rd Gear Member

yeah, when YOU do it! yea, it does look awsome. I personally love the wholegarage made, customs stuff. inever can stop looking at a good home made car(cant do any ofitmyself yet.damn)
Old 02-08-2008, 11:29 AM
Daze
3rd Gear Member

If I can do it any one can do it. I have no formal traing and was new to this hobby 8 years ago. I have sense spent a lot of time reading, learning on forums and doing, lots and lots of doing. When ever I start a project I do tons of research and put together a binder with all the info on the subject I can find. Then I mock things up, get feedback and continue to reinvent what I am working on. By the time I finish this coil over project I will have designed some aspects of it several times. Over all as a fabricator designer I am finally to the point where I have made as many things that worked as didn't work There is no substitute for trial and error at the school of hard knocks. I am a firm believer that any one can do anything as long as they are willing to put in the time and effort required to do it correctly. I really do mean what I say at the top of my home page.

DazeCars, performance parts and free tech articles dedicated to those with the
"Do It Yourself" spirit. I hope these pages inspires you to believe that you can DIY

Old 02-08-2008, 11:58 AM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

man thats awesome ive been thinkin about tackling a home coil over setup like yours for my stang. how hard was it? are you gunna post how you did it on your site? how much were the coil overs them selves?
Old 02-08-2008, 11:59 AM
stangimgood
2nd Gear Member

Daze....would a piece of channel iron with 3/16 or 1/4 wall work for your top shock mount? cuts down on welding....should be stronger also... i like what your doing...maybe i'll give it a try...i have been thinking along these lines and i must say that your ideas are much better that what i have come up with so far....keep up the great work.........
Old 02-08-2008, 09:46 PM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

edit. nevermind. lol
Old 02-08-2008, 10:03 PM
Daze
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: racin66coupe

man thats awesome ive been thinkin about tackling a home coil over setup like yours for my stang. how hard was it? are you gunna post how you did it on your site? how much were the coil overs them selves?
So far this has been one of my more challenging tasks. The Upper and lower control arms were not that hard, but designing the mounting brackets for the actual shock is involving a lot more calculation and planning so that I get the correct ride height and so that there is plenty of shock travel once installed with out bottoming out the shock on either end of the stroke. I don't know if I will make a web page on the subject or not, if I do it will be an abridged one with just the highlights. The pare of QA1 coil overs set me back about $400.00 When it is all said and done I will have about $1000.00 in to the set up including the adjustable strut rods.

ORIGINAL: stangimgood

Daze....would a piece of channel iron with 3/16 or 1/4 wall work for your top shock mount? cuts down on welding....should be stronger also... i like what your doing...maybe i'll give it a try...i have been thinking along these lines and i must say that your ideas are much better that what i have come up with so far....keep up the great work.........
I could use channel iron, but my plan is to make a really ridged mount that specifically locates the top mount and welded pieces will be easier for what I am planning, but thanks for the input I appreciate it.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:13 PM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

well i was thinking about bending steel tube, weld it to the frameand mount the shock to that. it would also eliminate the shock towers. id still hafta figure out how to mount the control arms...

thats awesome man!!