Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Mustang II front end?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 11:29 PM
waldo786
2nd Gear Member

Default Mustang II front end?

So I'm looking at getting a mustang II front end because it costs about the same price as a good rack and pinion. Anyone out there running one can tell me how it drives? How is the turning radius with these setups? I'm looking at one from here: http://www.southernrods.com/categori...duct-1851.html
Are these good or are heidt's better? Any info appreciated. Thanks!
Old 02-08-2008, 07:12 AM
JamesW

Default RE: Mustang II front end?

Mustang II front end is a rack & pinion plus the front suspension and brakes. If you're doing this just for the R&P part, that's twice what a good R&P alone costs.

These systems are great...they remove the inner shock towers and give you all kinds of room. The down side is they have a reduced turning radius.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:26 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Unless you can weld and trust your life on your welds and can get the cross member straight in it id pass on it.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:41 AM
cmanf
3rd Gear Member

I have the rod and customs setup havent drivin mine yet just push it about in and out of the garage.
1 thing to be aware of they DIDNT tell me is the new disc brakes and everything pushes your track out(makes the front wider)
Not a bad thing your just going to need a wheel with more backspace unless you like the dirt track car look with the front tires sticking 2" out.

So far thats the only thing I love the new room i have. There is opposing issues on stang 2 suspension, I chose the one I did because the way the lower a arm mounts it splits the force evenly. By that the rest of the kits I had looked at put the front of the a arm next to cross member, then it had about 4-5" offset to the rear so that is a lot of force focused on that point. These guys split that 50/50. Look at my picts lots of the suspension on there in stages.
You cant beat the service and knowledge from William @ rod and customs! The owners are who your dealing with he solved a lot of other issues for me beyond the kit I bought also.
Check out my link for picts of it.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:41 AM
mySAVIOReigns
3rd Gear Member

I'd pass on it too - it puts a lot of stress on the front frame-rails. Just go with a R&P
Old 02-08-2008, 07:56 AM
03Maverik
2nd Gear Member

JamesW

The down side is they have a reduced turning radius.
Just give it a hard right foot and you'll have a nice turning radius. Burn them tires..."Smokey and The Bandit" style!!!
Old 02-08-2008, 12:04 PM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

[quote]ORIGINAL: 03Maverik

Just give it a hard right foot and you'll have a nice turning radius. Burn them tires..."Smokey and The Bandit" style!!!
+1000000000
Old 02-08-2008, 03:30 PM
cmanf
3rd Gear Member

Every time stang 2 suspension comes up the same frame rail comments pops up.
It carries most of the weight in the new heavy duty crossmember The engine mounts to that now.
The way its made mine anyway it re-enforces the frame rail.

Do your own research ask lots of questions make choice of what you find out to be accurate.
Thats what I did.
Listen to all the cons then the pros then I asked both to the guys that make the kit and found out from guys that have one.
Drove one and I was sold. The pros out weighed the cons by far for me.

Lots of room no shock towers.
11"Disc brakes included in the price of the kit.
R&P steering.
Tubular arms look cool. lol

If these things were death traps be kinda hard to have so many profitable companies making the kits.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:36 PM
03Maverik
2nd Gear Member

I had a similar thread not too long ago, same issues were brought up. My personal conclusion is, if it is so bad, then why does every hotrodder use this setup. I will probably be getting one from Rod and Customs too.
Old 02-08-2008, 05:18 PM
fordification
1st Gear Member

I bought the scotts hot rod ifs. very nice unit.

<---

They do recommend boxing the frame rail completely, since the original is still just a C.

I'm not exactly sure how much but weight is also a benefit. This wasn't even questionable for me because the bigblocks are a bitch with towers. And these are fully adjusted including rebound and ride height. Very nice Aldan coilovers.

Quick Reply: Mustang II front end?