Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

65 Coupe Resto--PICS Added!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 09:53 PM
Curse The Sky
1st Gear Member

Default RE: 1965 Coupe Restoration

What part of CT are you in? I'm in the North East. If you're close enough I could come take a look and show what I started with. Mine's far from done, but it's much closer than when it started.

What was said above me is so true. You see those beautiful $4k coupes around here and there, and kick yourself for buying a $2500 rust bucket. The truth is, if it's $4k and looks great, it probably has all the same (or more) problems that the rust bucket does, just not visible. I'd much rather be able to see what will need to be replaced than buy it and find out later that it's half body filler.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:09 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Lke said, first determine if this really is the right car for you. You dont want to get into a rebuild that is over your head or beyond your budget. If you end up replacing everything, it will be 5x cheaper to just lay down the money up front and buy a nice running car. Take me for example, I estimate 20,000ish to just get it running...

Once you get a car, then determine what you want from it. A full blow drag racer, a street cruiser, concours correct, show car, or a mixture of some of those. It seems most of the people on this forum have what I would consider street cruisers...

Determine your budjet and check around for some prices to get an idea.

The general rule of restoring is 1. Metal repair 2. Brakes 3. Suspension 4. Drivetrain ...etc etc, and paint and shinyness is LAST!

Old 03-14-2008, 12:15 PM
Steph97GT
1st Gear Member

Thanks :-) I will try to get some pics up as soon as I can -the weather is getting better here- so I may see if my dad can help me pull it out this weekend.

I live in Wallingford -
Old 03-14-2008, 12:24 PM
HGC
4th Gear Member

Another consideration is that you already own this car. You might pass on it if you were thinking about paying money for it, but since you already have it you are one step up on the process.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:38 AM
Steph97GT
1st Gear Member

Very true -

Sorry I have been MIA for a little bit - Spring Break has not gone as planned! We have had rain on some days and on the sunny days (like today) we have 50mph wind. So I have not been able to get the car out.

My ambition is still there - I do want to see what I can do with this car
Old 03-21-2008, 05:08 PM
4R RUSH
1st Gear Member

Make sure when you bag and tag the parts that you do not use a ball point pen and leave the parts in the sun. I learned the hard way that the sun eats up the bags and the sun erases the ball point pen identification. Its better to use a sharpe pen and keep in the dark somewhere.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:36 PM
ThanksDad
3rd Gear Member

If you don't have one buy a shop manual. They come in paperback or on C/D. My paperback edition has been invaulable and I just ordered a copy on CD. The CD is nice as you can blow up the pictures for greater clarity and print out a page to take to the parts store.

I have also bought a exploded view body and wiring book. They have been helpful as well.
Old 03-29-2008, 03:54 PM
Steph97GT
1st Gear Member

Posted some pics finally in the original post! It's going to be a definate project, but I am up for the challenge!
Old 03-29-2008, 05:04 PM
HGC
4th Gear Member

She's a little rough. Considering how it looks right now I think I would take a hammer to the frame rails and see if they are bad enough the hammer breaks through. Structurally, this car is held together with the floors, frame rails and rockers. The floors are pretty obviously in need of replacement. Other than that, just start taking it apart. It doesn't cost anything to disassemble the car and it will give you a better idea of what you have. Do you have the missing parts?
Old 03-29-2008, 09:02 PM
Steph97GT
1st Gear Member

I have most of them - and whatever is inside the car that I haven't gone through yet.
I will def. have to look for some of them - like front seats - I have an original bench seat, but not bucket seats.
The car was whole when I got it (8 years ago) except for front seats.

Believe it or not - the car runs and moves (even with my current gas tank haha).

My dad has a book from Mustangs Unlimited and I am currently looking up floors, since they are in need of serious repair.

Quick Reply: 65 Coupe Resto--PICS Added!!!