Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Manual R&P vs. Manual Steering & Power Assist

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 06:54 PM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

Default Manual R&P vs. Manual Steering & Power Assist

Our car is currently manual steering. If it were mine I'd leave it and simply try to tighten it up some as it drivers wandering all over the road. Attempting to maintain a straight line requires damn near a 1/2 turn in both directions to stay straight. Needless to say the wife would not be happy. She has also flat out stated that she wants power steering in the car which is fine.

I've looked at buying an old used setup which typically run 200 to 300 for everything. Then on top of that it all needs to be rebuilt and restored which can cost another 200 to 400 or more depending on how bad things are. I've also looked at a few new/restored power steering setups like the ones from Chockostang on ebay which sell for 800 to 900. Completely restored and many new parts.

Now I've also been looking at the manual Rack & Pinion setups. Been reading here a lot on the Unisteer setups and a bit on the Flaming River ones. I see that Unisteer now has a 67 version though it doesn't say if its for the early (pre 3/1/67) or later models. I'd guess the later. We own an early 67 built in Jan so I'd likely go with the 65/66 kit. Would call Unisteer to verify first. I've also read up on the Unisteer usage with a manual transmission which just points me more so towards going with a Hydraulic Clutch Conversion.

My question is.. How does the ease of steering compare between the Unisteer Manual R&P the stock manual steering? Can the wheels be turned with 1 hand while stopped? I understand the R&P corrects the road wandering the older cars had which is good. Also how does the Manual R&P compare to stock power assist, again, in regards to ease of steering?

Also.. any issues with with the Unisteer and the use of the Granada spindles? I'm doing the CSRP disk brakes with these.

Thanks
Old 03-16-2008, 07:45 PM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Manual R&P vs. Manual Steering & Power Assist

Both manual steering typeswill be hard to turn with one hand. The rack seens to be easier though. Once you are on the go, it doesn't matter. I kinda like the feel of the road. On the Granada spindles, they say that their is some issues with understeer or oversteer but I'm not sure which. I run them on a 68 track car and it seems OK but I'm not that great of a driver. "Scott H."is who you need to talk to. You may try to PM him.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:03 PM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

Last edited by Scott H.; 01-20-2010 at 10:04 PM.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:46 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

just on a sidenote, when you have to adjust that much while driving, maybe you have loadsa play in your steering or steering box?
when you stand, how far (in turns) can you turn your steering from left to right without having affect on the wheels?
Old 03-17-2008, 08:54 AM
nassaubayman
3rd Gear Member

A year ago, I was exactly where you are now. Early '67 with manual steering and manual brakes. I looked at www.steeroids.com for their R&P upgrade. But I wound up going with chockostang because of price. I spent 800 for new/rebuilt parts, but that was still about 1/2 what steeroids would have cost.

Upgrading to power steering was a HUGE improvement. Also, the upgrade included a tighter ratio steering box, which is really nice.

Another reason I went with chockostang is because I also bought his front disc brakes. I'm a big fan of being able to go to the parts store in 5 years and buy brake pads for a '67 Mustang (not a ?? Granada or whatever you wind up with). I don't have concerns about spindles or any goofy mods to worry about.