Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

power to manual steering question

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 08:22 AM
Tommyviv

Default power to manual steering question

I have a 66 fastback. When I bought it the PO told me that the steering box was "blueprinted" ( I hate that). Well, it is almost impossible to turn ...I mean really hard ...two hands, real muscle ,only 1/8 turn...got it? So I get on stanger 53 site (thank you , very informative) and I find out how to reduce the preload on the shaft. I do that ....no change. I yank off the cover ...no change. So I rip the damn thing out..;.go to the sacraficial 69 convertible in the shed and yank off the box and column. Before I go thru all of the necessary alterations.... who has any idea how hard it will be to turn this car with an smbk (p/s)box and its appropriate pitman (p/s) arm and 9" wheels with 4" backspace? I REALLY need to get this resolved so I can drop in the motor. Also will I need to change anything else like the idler arm? I do plan on going rack & pinion but am going to fabricate my own ....as I dont feel obligated to pay someone $800 to weld up a bracket. So my point is can I live with this configuration for about a year? Thanks in advance!

Old 04-17-2008, 08:34 AM
UBY289
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: power to manual steering question

I changed my 67 Coupe, 289from power to manual and have no trouble at all turning. The only thing is you need to change out Power SteeringControl Valve to a converter PS to MS .I got one from NPD. If you leave the PS Control Valve on it will not stand up and will fall off from the joint connecting it to the Pitman Arm which would leave you no steering!!!!
Old 04-20-2008, 08:53 PM
Tommyviv

Default RE: power to manual steering question

Thank You, i think i should be able to deal with the extra muscle now. I am actually planning on getting a mustang II front suspension or rack & pinion set up. Just need to get it on the road NOW!
Thanks
Tom