MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   Classic Mustangs (Tech) (https://mustangforums.com/forum/classic-mustangs-tech-16/)
-   -   anyone with a grant wheel? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/classic-mustangs-tech/439399-anyone-with-a-grant-wheel.html)

SalikDDD 04-29-2008 02:58 PM

anyone with a grant wheel?

how the F do you get the horn 'button' to stay on? theres nothing i see that like clips it on, u just ram down hard on the contact plate with the button or what? cus it just falls off and i'm sick of having a naked center :(

fishkg 04-29-2008 03:17 PM

RE: anyone with a grant wheel?

Grant has several different styles. My son and I just put a Classic on our '69.
Instructions on ours had us line it up a certain way, push it on, and then turn ituntilasmall detent locked in.

Hope this helps. By the way, we used the Grant installation kit which came with it's own horn button, and plates set up for it to attach. Without the kit, I'm not sure what to tell you.

I saw instructions for a billett stylebutton also. It said the install kit had sticky foam pads that held it in place. (I remember it because it didn't make sense to me to spend $40-$50 on a horn button and then use two sided foam tape to hold it on.)

flyingfool 04-29-2008 03:35 PM

i have a grant, and i also remember seeing somthing about a push twist thing. dont have a button yet though. that billit thing said it fits over the normal plastic cover when i looked at it

SalikDDD 04-29-2008 03:43 PM

yeah i got the install kit, i think i have the horn contact plate on upside down :(

AscolA 04-29-2008 03:54 PM

I have had mine on for several months. Every time I'd go out to my car the button would be sitting in the drivers seat. I finally super glued it. Hasn't come off since. Although, if I ever need to get if off, I'm not sure I'll be able to with out breaking something. Oh well.

fishkg 04-29-2008 03:58 PM

As I recall, it took us a while to figure out which way was up, too. I wish I could solve my voltage regulator problem by flipping it upside-down.
Let

Art Brock 04-29-2008 04:21 PM

After about 2 weeks of my horn button falling off whenever it wanted to, I got mad &punched the crap out of it onto the wheel. Hasn't fallen off in about 10 months now so I must have seated it pretty good.

ThanksDad 04-29-2008 04:28 PM

Mine has three cut outs on the fiberglass rings that attach to the steering shaft. The inside of the chrome horn button has three "nubs". If I line these up it seems to stay on pretty good. It does still come off from time to time though.

Starfury 04-29-2008 05:24 PM

Welcome to the world of Grant wheels:) If you're lucky, maybe the horn will even work for a short period of time!

SalikDDD 04-29-2008 05:54 PM

oh it worked alright, when i touched it to the wheel it shocked the crap out of me about 6 or 7 times before i cut the wires off and made a side mount push button horn... f that thing.. grant SUCKS.