Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Mufflers for stock 289 V8...which sound best?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 04:29 PM
ky
America ftw

Default RE: Mufflers for stock 289 V8...which sound best?

i had a 10ft peice of 2-1/4" tubing and a ubend that i brought along with my flowmaster 40 2 chambers for the guy to a shop and he only charged me $200 for the whole system. pretty cheap imo. and i picked it up the next morning. idk if he used the tubing i brought him or not but it was sorta in trade since i gave him the stuff.
Old 05-17-2008, 06:14 PM
wrenchturner75
2nd Gear Member

when it comes to mufflers its a matter of personal taste, period! what muffler sounds good to one person may sound horrible to someone else. a muffler will also sound drastically different on 2 different cars with different engine combos. i went through several sets of mufflers over the years and wasnt satisfied untill i installed a set of super 40s, these mufflers truly gave me a seat of the pants(my dyno) change, better throttle response, deff more power and a nice rumble at idle, at cruising speed there really not bad at all. as far as flows being restrictive, uh no. proof is in the pudding. as far as everybody having them well then i guess they work and the people are happy with them. but as i said its a matter of taste,
Old 05-17-2008, 11:11 PM
straight68

i have a 68 with a 289 also, hooker headers and flowmasters. the most beautiful sound in the world...
Old 05-17-2008, 11:40 PM
RGMotorsports
1st Gear Member

Cherry Bombs, You cant get any more 60's than that...
Old 05-17-2008, 11:44 PM
RGMotorsports
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wrenchturner75

when it comes to mufflers its a matter of personal taste, period! what muffler sounds good to one person may sound horrible to someone else. a muffler will also sound drastically different on 2 different cars with different engine combos. i went through several sets of mufflers over the years and wasnt satisfied untill i installed a set of super 40s, these mufflers truly gave me a seat of the pants(my dyno) change, better throttle response, deff more power and a nice rumble at idle, at cruising speed there really not bad at all. as far as flows being restrictive, uh no. proof is in the pudding. as far as everybody having them well then i guess they work and the people are happy with them. but as i said its a matter of taste,
Well really unless any of us have flowed and dyno'd a set of super 40's nothing has been proven. There are alot of mufflers on the market these days that will not flow great because they are built for sound, not power gain. If you want some mufflers that flow, DR.Gas Boom Tubes, but none of use have a Cup engine in our cars so maybe not.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:31 AM
boss_65mustang

i dont know about you guys but i like to have something a little diffrent. personaly to me flow masters and magnaflow just suck to me. i dont like the sound and when you are in the car it just resoniates horribly. i love to hear my scream, but not that way. i went with my dads friends shops mufflers, spintech. i know most of you probally havent heard of them but they made headers and mufflers for sprint cars. these are the coolest sounding mufflers i have ever put a car. they have a good clean crisp sound and you know when u are on the gas. the good thing i like about them is they dont resoniate. that is my opinion, but hey if you want to go with the flow then go. it your choice.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:37 AM
flyingfool
3rd Gear Member

there needs to be a few more uploads into the exuast sticky...the ones there are cool, but we should try to get a complete list/clips of what everyone has on here, make it a bit easier to compare even if its through crappy comp speakers...
Old 05-18-2008, 10:47 AM
fast65
5th Gear Member

Here's a clip of my 302 with headers, an H-pipe and dual Flowmaster 40's.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ab8VBjggIDM

I really like them, but I also miss how loud my glasspacks were.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:58 AM
imnotmy77stang
2nd Gear Member

289 with hedman longtube headers, no crossover pipe, and a pair of flow 40 series

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-9o3t0EP3I

and yeah i know the car looks like sh*t [8D]
Old 05-18-2008, 05:43 PM
htwheelz67
3rd Gear Member

If you want sound, I dont know if they are still made but thrush round steel mufflers sound awesome, there also a similar muffler called "smithys", otherwise magna flows or if you can afford them borla's, as far as flowmasters, I think they sound aweful, very tinney, droney and annoying. If you want loud you want a straight thru muffler, you can get some 12" long glass packs too, they will be nice and loud. after a while you will get tired of the noise though......

Quick Reply: Mufflers for stock 289 V8...which sound best?