Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

I'm firing up the mustang for the first time tomorow or Sunday, pics

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 08:01 PM
merr818

Default I'm firing up the mustang for the first time tomorow or Sunday, pics

Well she's a 69 mustang that was pretty much used as a parts car for whatever reason as it had been restored at one time and been well taken care of with no rust. Unfortunately she ended up with a half assed 302 that ended up dropping a valve into the piston about a 2 months ago. I found a great donor truck and the motor had about 1000 miles on it and the internals definetly look good. I'm excited to get it going.

BTW this is a 302...... A very dirty one thats not as dirty now, but very blown up. It kinda sounded like nuts and bolts in a blender.

The original motor ended up in a 67 fastback after it made 500whp in this car

So the correct motor will be put in a 351 4 barrel with 1000 miles on it and is still under warranty. It's currently in a POS truck. I'll update as we go along....

5/17: OMG what an ugly POS

Well brought her home and she ran great. Beleive it or not the motor only has 1000 miles on it and you can tell the gaskets are new, it is still warrantied. However all the hoses, aircleaner and all that are original so it really looks like **** under the hood. The motor appears to have been painted black, i'll be painting it blue once it's out. I'm also going to be swapping valve covers as all of that is original on there too. Well here it is....,.

This thing is huge, here is a comparison. Project s10 vs. Monster truck

XLT Lariat, and at that fully loaded with every option but the diesel. (note the lights on the roof for the full tractor trailer effect)

You can tell in it's day it was one hell of a nice truck

Like I said ugly, but beauty is hiding underneath. The engine sounds great even with all the restrictions and emissions equipment. I cant wait to hear it unrestricted hooked up to my headers and sidepipes with the 650 holley!
The reason I have it. This is the correct motor! I beleive the High output would mean there are forged internals as well being that the 5.0 HO meant the same thing.

OMG IT'S SO FREEKING UGLY LOOKING!

I'm probably going to be swapping intake manifolds if I can from the 302.

5/19I managed in a few hours to disconnect the tranny from the motor and push the torque converter back so it stays with the tranny. I have everything disconnected but the exhaust and motor mounts and hopefully on Thursday she'll be outa there.

We'll be tearing the motor out of the stang on Sunday and getting the new 351 looking pretty. The block and heads are new and they bolted all this old **** on there as you can tell it looks like hell, however the block and heads are black. I'll keep it updated.

5/24Got alot of work done today with some help which made things go much much quicker
The motor is out and all the needless stuff is torn off for the most part here

I have all my seals and gaskets ordered and it will all be in on Tuesday, here you can see the freeze plugs are new

what 302?

so of course we had to see what happened to the 302 that it let go, here are pictures of the carnage

the piston is in 5 peices here if you cant tell

cracked the cylinder wall

some of the valve....

It was a great motor and I ****ed up, hell of a loss.

5/25 Cleaning, cleaning and more cleaning. The original intake manifold had some copious amounts of oil on it so it took me the better part of 4 hours to clean the whole motor to get it ready for paint. Here is the progress

^thats better

^this isn't anything yet, parts are coming in as we speak.

5/30 Look at the abundance of fun things here!!!!! Made a run to CJ pony parts and picked up some reproductiong parts.

and an original resto-mod air cleaner FTW

New oil pump pickup for front sump

Clean fresh internals

One valve cover polished and the other is not here, what a difference. I used Eagle one never dull and the mothers power ball to buff it.

I guess I didn't take any with the new chrome oil pan

5/31 I got piston #5 out today so shown below are remanants of whats left of it. Also the motor is in the car and there are a few things to button up but it wont be ready for the ford nats, sorry.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:23 PM
Tony R
4th Gear Member

Default RE: I'm firing up the mustang for the first time tomorow or Sunday, pics

You are making good progress. Your car looks great.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:40 PM
Waffles
5th Gear Member

Default RE: I'm firing up the mustang for the first time tomorow or Sunday, pics

wow new heart lookin good! excited to hear progress.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:03 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

Looks good.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:12 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

did you paint the engine bay while it was out???
Old 06-07-2008, 01:20 AM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

Go pick up a $7 new chrome water neck for that sucker at auto zone.. It will match the valve covers and air cleaner.. Thats some good work! Did you change out the intake gasket too? Where was all of that oil that accumulated coming from?
Old 06-07-2008, 07:36 AM
merr818

Well that was the original intake manifold, the block and heads are theonly thing that are new so the intake manifold hada new gasket put in about a thousand miles ago it was just never cleaned. The points are gone too we've gone to an electronic ignition.