Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

AFR 185 or Victor Jr???

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 03:27 PM
tyler72
3rd Gear Member

Default AFR 185 or Victor Jr???

Hello,I have been contemplating gettine some fifferent heads for my 347 here in the next year or so, and I was wondering... Which would be better' The AFR 185s, or the Victor Jr Edelbrocks? I know the Eddys have bigger valves, but which head will actually give me the better performance?
Old 06-25-2008, 03:44 PM
cmanf
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: AFR 185 or Victor Jr???

Hey Tyler!

Now you have gotten your cam sorted you about to change things up again! lol I love it.

My 347 is on the not daily driver side but I have the 185's a side note put steel inserts in your exhaust mounting holes.
IDK why they just tapped the billet for these as much as they cost, but they did and Ill be going back thru my motor to switch them all when it comes back out.
Only thing I can say bad about the heads tho. Oh yeha D shaped exhaust ports but my Mac shortie's do fine with no leaks.

Comp cams helped me out with what would work well with my engine needs for my desired power level. They had me go AFR 185's
Mine is also a S/c motor.

Edelbrocks are a good head also I think its just up to what your looking for in power and preference.
You cant go wrong either way. Dont forget you can do a lil homework with Comp Cams and KNOW what a accurate guess of you power will be with out ever turning a wrench.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:47 PM
.boB
3rd Gear Member

I think either one will perform well, with only a small differance between them, with the edge probably going to the AFR's. BUT, some of the pro builders have been reporting troubles with the AFR's. Quality control isn't what it should be for the other parts - like springs and retainers.

If you're going to run them out of the box, use the Edelbrocks. IF you're going to buy them bare and build them up, get the AFR's.

But, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:50 PM
JBradley500
3rd Gear Member

if i was going to run a wedge style head on a sbf it would always be afr.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:20 PM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

cmanf hit the 2 issues with afrs

i have had to retap all the extractor bolt holes[:@]
I also had to get custom headers made here to suit the bigger square ports where most windsor heads are a vertical rectangle. But that was also 225 afrs not the 185s. Not sure what the Vics are???

comp cams should be able to help. one key issue is chamber size and effect on compression ratio to make sure she still runs sweet on pump catspiss. but you prolly already know that

keep us posted.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:10 PM
UH60LCHIEF
1st Gear Member

AFR's make good power out of the box, but I've had several friends have issues with exactly what folks here are saying. Some of the components on them are not so good. Several engine builders I know refuse to use them anymore because they have been eating it on the returns and free labor because the valve studs rip out etc. My friend Joe just had to drop another $1500 on shaft rockers b/c his AFR's wouldn't hold up to the cam profile. My vote FWIW is Edlebrocks.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:19 PM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

I have TFS street heads. They are comparable to the 185's without any of the above mentioned problems to my knowledge.
[align=left] [/align]
Old 06-25-2008, 11:00 PM
66JameStang
4th Gear Member

I love my victor Jrs straight out of the box for my 351, i have had no problems at all with them... and they sure are purty
Old 06-25-2008, 11:10 PM
davesanborn
3rd Gear Member

What heads are you using now?

I'm in the market (as always) for better cylinder heads for my 347 also. It was my understanding that due to the increased valve size of the 185's, bigger reliefs need to be cut into the pistons.

Is this true? or not true?

I've got a couple roller motors laying around and I'd planned on building a spare 347 (for the inevitable day that I blow the one installed now). I was going to cut larger reliefs in the pistons anticipating an AFR185 install, but I don't want to do this if I don't have to.

Thanks!

Dave
Old 06-26-2008, 08:26 AM
tyler72
3rd Gear Member

Well, right now I have Performer RPMs and I like them. I just think that it would do better with some bigger heads. They are 60 cc combustion chamber size and 170 cc on the intake runner. The AFR heads have a 58 cc combustion chamber size, and the Vic Jrs are 60 cc, so, either way the compression wouldn't really change (Its 10.5:1 now). As far as valve size problems, there should be none. I am running Flat top pistons now and they have pretty decent sized valved reliefs. I am 100% sure they will work with the 185s because they only have a 2.02 intake valve, and they should be fine with the Eddys even though they have a 2.05 intake valve. From what everybody is saying, since my car is street driven 99% of the time and only sees the track once every now and then, I think the Vic jrs are the way to go. Just out of curiousity, if I do decide to get the bigger heads, would anybody want to buy the heads I have now? They only have like 1500 miles on them MAX, probably not even that. There is nothing wrong with them, and they have the 1.90 intake valve which allows them to work on stock bottom ends, but doesn't really hurt performance any. Let me know if you are interested.

Quick Reply: AFR 185 or Victor Jr???