Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Air Conditioning in Arizona??

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 07:58 PM
justaguy65

Default Air Conditioning in Arizona??

Hello everybody,

I was just wondering if anybody here is from Arizona, and has had an AC unit installed in thier Mustang? I own a 1965 without air. It is blisterin hot here and I want to get ac put in my car. I want the original style ac that mounts under the dash, not the other plastic looking ones that mount under it. Thanks for any info, it sucks here in the summer with no air.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:28 PM
rst08tierney
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Air Conditioning in Arizona??

your looking at 900-1200 for parts. Thats everything, including under the hood. Check out ebay.
My buddy put one in his 66 and loves it. But thats a big chunk for ac, I would rather spend the money in other places on the car if its not your daily driver
Old 06-23-2008, 10:47 PM
65Coupester
2nd Gear Member

I'm in Tempe. In my 65, I don't even sweat because I look so cool.

My car had factory air with the "knee knocker" under dash unit. Someone removed the rest though. I'm with rst08, I put my money in the rest of the car. Mines a driver. I'm 52 and I can hack it.

Bottom line, even if you find the original parts, they will need work. Considering gas mileage, install cost ect., it might be cheaper overall to go with a modern compressor and the rest, as opposed to original equipment.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:59 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Try http://www.vintageair.com/ and heres a picture of it installed in a 65/66 http://www.vintageair.com/cat2007/45.pdf or http://www.classicautoair.com/Mustang6466.asp but remember ac can only drop the outside temp about 20 degress also look in to window tinting too even a very light tint can help block the heat out.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:13 PM
dugan
2nd Gear Member

I agree look into vintage air.. Not original but hardly noticeable..
Old 06-24-2008, 12:06 AM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

from az as well. in scottsdale area. getting my ac unit rebuilt through www.coolmymustang.com they seem pretty legit, and rebuild components, as well as sell new ones
Old 06-24-2008, 12:23 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

<- is gonna put a/c in his car south ga sucks in the summer
Old 06-24-2008, 12:49 AM
66JameStang
4th Gear Member

Yeah it is super hot in New Mexico too, and I travel to Tucson a lot so I know how hot it can get out there! (Used to live in Sierra Vista south of phoenix and Tucson) I have a A/C kit for my car and as soon as we can get a bracket fabricated it is going back in, maybe I will be cooler than 65coupester!

I know in my 66 a special bracket is required and perhaps even a smaller a/c pump if you have a monte carlo bar...
Old 06-24-2008, 08:26 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Get a 134a system the freon is cheaper and cools almost as good as r12 does.I'm in Kentucky 90s are the hottest it gets here but i won't own a car/truck with out ac im spoiled i know.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:00 PM
69FB
4th Gear Member

Vintage Air is manufactured in San Antonio, Texas (They know what hot is)

Classic Auto Air is made outside Dallas, Texas, if I remember right...(They also know what hot is)

Tinting the windows will help tremendously.

Look into Huberoptic (sp.) it's a german company that has a distribution center in Houston, Texas. They're tint is suppose to cut out 70-80% of the heat that gets inside the car.

I have it on my daily driver and I noticed a difference...not sure though if it's 80%.

There are others as well that offer the heat reduction tint, it's not cheap but well worth the money...and alot cheaper than installing A/C.

That being said I plan on doing both (A/C and tint) to help with the heat. Moved from Dallas to Austin to San Antonio and now in Birmingham, AL Not as hot temperature wise but more humidity here. [&o]

Quick Reply: Air Conditioning in Arizona??