Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Bad Day @ DMV

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 08:01 PM
juansp67
1st Gear Member

Default Bad Day @ DMV

I was excited to go to the DMV because i was gonna register the car under my name and with the old black and gold license plates.
They tell me i have to use the new ones it currently has because they cant register the old license plates unless i have some kind of old regestration showing my car's VIN on it[:@]. That sucks cause the guy i bought the car gave me the pink slip and the registration with the new license plate he registered under.
#1: Why would they take off the old ones in the first place!!!!maybe cause they were Id*ots.....

Anyone knows another way to register it back with the old ones??maybe.....anyone????

Old 06-27-2008, 08:10 PM
flyingfool
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Bad Day @ DMV

non that i know of without the old title...but some states mabeye have differnt laws. mabeye you could get it registered out of state somehow, then re- regester it in yours...and im over thinking this far to much..
Old 06-27-2008, 08:14 PM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

It can be done. What state u in? Go to some cruise ins & talk to others w/ antique plates.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:00 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

The law in CA is going to change in....November, I think. At that point you'll have to have a pair of matching plates, but they don't have to be matched to the car.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:04 PM
Toddman0025
2nd Gear Member

I had the same problem with an old VW bug that I wanted to keep the black plates on, couldn't find any loopholes. Interested to hear if you find a way!
Old 06-27-2008, 10:12 PM
67BullittCoupe
3rd Gear Member

move to florida.

problem solved. no car modification laws. and you get a cool blue and white plate that says antique.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:36 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

i would tather have a vintage plate on mine, i got this one for 2$ from the junkyard i sandblasted it and painted it a caddy white pearl. now i just need to do the letters in blue

Old 06-27-2008, 10:39 PM
65rangoon
3rd Gear Member

i know in IL if you have the car registered as an antique vehicle that law allows you to use the antique plates as long as you have the correct plates in the car to show the officer.

BUT ... and this is a BIG BUT

in IL if you have your car registered as an AV you can only LEGALLY drive the car to & from the shop as well as to & from a car exhibition.

you CAN NOT just got for a sunday cruise, legally that is
Old 06-27-2008, 11:10 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

ORIGINAL: 65rangoon

i know in IL if you have the car registered as an antique vehicle that law allows you to use the antique plates as long as you have the correct plates in the car to show the officer.

BUT ... and this is a BIG BUT

in IL if you have your car registered as an AV you can only LEGALLY drive the car to & from the shop as well as to & from a car exhibition.

you CAN NOT just got for a sunday cruise, legally that is

thats lame, here in ga antique plates mean nothing other than a plate with a vintage car on it. as for using vintagew plates we can do that here for cars up to 1970 and you just have to keep the real plate in the car
Old 06-27-2008, 11:23 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: juansp67
Anyone knows another way to register it back with the old ones??maybe.....anyone????
If I were you I would try again with a different clerk and/or a different DMVoffice...

It can at times be strange how differently "hard and fast" rules canbeenforced depending on who is interpreting them!

I would trythis a couple of times before trying more drastic measures...

Quick Reply: Bad Day @ DMV