Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Double-Din Stereo in a 65?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 09:53 PM
Piraya33
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Double-Din Stereo in a 65?

I currently have an Alpine CDA-X001 in the car, but I don't really like how the controls are setup. I was looking at doing the flip-out screen, but I knew it would hit the dashpad. So, I was just wondering if anyone had done a double-din because I have used a few of them and like how they look and I can pick one up for pretty cheap.

Pete, it is pretty crazy how similar our cars are. What color blue do you have? Can you post some pics of the HID lights? Thanks!
Old 07-18-2008, 06:15 AM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

I've been looking for another flip screen and found one at "Best Buy" (I forgot the brand though) that comes way out at the bottom slide and is adjustable on how far itsticks out. The angle is also adjustable. I'm sure that it will more than clear the dash pad. On my install, I did lower it somewhat so that it would clear the dash pad if it was mounted in the stock location. Also I bent the center of the metal for the dash pad up to allow for futher clearence. For me the touch screen is nice and easy to see ascompared to the very small writing in thelittle push buttons. Last night my 13 year old girl and myself went out cruising (as we often do) on the town and she watched Tom Petty music videos while cruising. She loves it.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:40 AM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r...DSC_0472-1.jpg
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r...Picture029.jpg
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r...r/IMG_6772.jpg
Old 07-18-2008, 09:33 AM
Piraya33
2nd Gear Member

Evil, that looks pretty sweet! I'm not sure if one of the flip-outs would work for me because it will be in the stock location on a 65. I'm pretty sure it's gonna hit the dashpad. Yours looks really good like that though. How does it affect your a/c?
Old 07-24-2008, 10:58 AM
TomKat
3rd Gear Member

is there a double-din stereo that will fit underneth the dash on the hump?
Old 07-24-2008, 11:36 AM
Nick.Simonds
4th Gear Member

You could make a "console" for the stereo to go in, on the hump.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:50 AM
PReal
5th Gear Member

Cut the dash and throw in an Eclipse or Alpine Dual Din.

Stay away from kenwood, dual and other such brands. They might be cheaper, but don't expect the sound quality or durability of more expensive unit.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:43 PM
65rangoon
3rd Gear Member

yea i cant cut it. my grandma would kill me.

What im going to end up doin is oddly enough i found a $15 rug at menards thats the same bright red as my carpet in the car.

Im going to pick up some MDF and build a small box to just hold a 6x9 that will sit over the drive shaft hump and up against the back seat. Then build a seperate small box for the CD player and connect them so i can have it verticle and on the passenger side of the drive shaft hump to the right of the shifter.

Then all i have to do for wiring is take a wire from ground & from the start solenoid and run them into the car and put quick disconnects on them and a switch so i can be sure the live wire wont be live unless the switch is flipped.

antenna can slide right under the seat with no interference to the signal.

That way if i want to cruise and listen to the radio no problem, just set the system on the hump plug it in and away i go.

It involves ZERO butchering of the car and wont hurt the value or anything else.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:07 PM
petespokerplanet
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PReal

Cut the dash and throw in an Eclipse or Alpine Dual Din.

Stay away from kenwood, dual and other such brands. They might be cheaper, but don't expect the sound quality or durability of more expensive unit.
I'm not sure I would compare Kenwood and Dual together. And even if you go all out, the classic Mustang is not a very good soundstage, so no matter what brand you put in, its not going to make as much difference as in a modern quieter car. You're right about the quality of the electronics, but durability is really not that much of an issue anymore.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:15 PM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PReal
Dual is made by Namsung which also makes for other big brands.Theres only 3 manufactures in Korea. I went to main plant and saw all the big name brands next to the off brands.

Quick Reply: Double-Din Stereo in a 65?