Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Need Help with painting dash and door panels

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 09:27 PM
justaguy65

Default Need Help with painting dash and door panels

Hey everyone, I have a 65 red coupe with black interior. The dash is all scratched up and I want to paint it. I have decided to paint the dash red and the metal door panels also. I have seen a few with this paint scheme and think that it looks really great. I need to find out exactly what I need to do to get them ready for painting, as far sanding or stripping and priming. I have never painted something like this and so any advice would be appreciated. Also, the color I want to paint it is Code T candy apple red. I haven't been able to locate this color in aerosol cans. Anyone know where I may find it. Thanks again!
Old 07-31-2008, 09:46 PM
mustdoc
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Need Help with painting dash and door panels

Have you got any pics of the color you desire? If so, an automotive paint store may be able to match it or come close.

As for stripping the paint in the interior, I have read from guys on this forum that it is desirable to use chemical paint stripper instead of sanding to avoid disturbing the subtle grooves present in the interior sheet metal.

After that, I would think some very fine abrasive (>2000 grit) may be required to help the primer and paint adhere but I'd get a 2nd opinion on this.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:51 PM
1965fastback
3rd Gear Member

Don't sand the dash or door metal, it removes the "fingerprint" or texture. Use enamel based paint for the metal. A wire brush will prep the surface fine, or paint stripper, but don't sand it.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:06 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

Check Virginia Classic Mustang and Cj Pony Parts. They should have the T code for exterior paint in can.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:12 PM
Nick.Simonds
4th Gear Member

Don't be afraid to sand the doors a little. Believe me it is very hard to take out the texture.

Im am painting the interior of my 65' right now. I'm trying to get rid of the texture though.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:25 AM
davesanborn
3rd Gear Member

Don't be afraid to sand the doors a little. Believe me it is very hard to take out the texture.
This is true, but.....

.... when you sand the interior of the doors (the dash panel hasno texture on it and can be sanded down to bare metal if necessary), you're removing the paint from the high spots of the texture. Due to the grain pattern, sanding cannot get into the recesses of the texture.

So if you lightly sand the interior of the doors, you're slowly deteriorating the grain pattern. You could, with enough coats of paint, and enough sanding, completely eliminate the grain pattern. Not by sanding the high spots off, but by filling the low spots of the grain pattern in with paint/primer.

The best way to restore the interior of the doors and retain the full depth of the grain pattern is to either blast or chemically strip any area with a grain pattern. Then prime and paint.

Dave
Old 08-02-2008, 05:23 PM
mustdoc
2nd Gear Member

Dave - Thanks for re-affirming what I had previously read on this forum. Chemical strip or media/soda blast to preserve the grain/grooves pattern.

Will the primer adhere well after just chemical stripping or is there any other step to improve adhesion of the primer?
Old 08-02-2008, 05:44 PM
1965fastback
3rd Gear Member

Clean all the stripper off with denatured alcohol, that would help.
Old 08-02-2008, 05:45 PM
tomnardozza
1st Gear Member

use a red scotch-brite pad to scuff the doors (and the dash for that matter)