MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   Classic Mustangs (Tech) (https://mustangforums.com/forum/classic-mustangs-tech-16/)
-   -   6cyl to 8cyl ?? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/classic-mustangs-tech/473328-6cyl-to-8cyl.html)

bsrepellant 08-12-2008 07:15 PM

6cyl to 8cyl ??

Just got on the road a 69 coupe I6 250 C-code. Considering putting in a 351W.
Has 8"/C4. Just finished front disc swap. I've had people tell me not to convert and keep original. Would I decrease resale value if I convert? Just curious.

Have to post pics later.

eZ 08-12-2008 07:32 PM

unless it is an all numbers matching car i would not worry about it. Its not like there is a big market for a 69 I6 even if it were. I would do the swap. If you are really worried about it just keep the I6 in the garage and if your car suddenly becomes a collector you can put the I6 back in.

bsrepellant 08-12-2008 07:50 PM

Pics

2 Attachment(s)
Pics of my car.

bryantwalley 08-12-2008 08:01 PM

In your case you could do what is called a resto/mod. You keep the cosmetic parts of the car original and you add the modern parts that would make it a daily driver like drive train components, brakes, suspension, etc.

It has to be done right though and the car will have a higher value than it does now.
I have seen a few done and the good ones were really nice and the bad ones were really bad.

Its a really cool feeling to get into a classic with all the modern comforts.

/Good luck

67MustangJDM 08-12-2008 08:58 PM

I think you should keep it with the six. A friend of mine is doing a 6 to 8 swap with a 1965 Ford Falcon and he keeps on saying how big of a mistake it was to do it. Believe me it will cost alot more than you would think. So many little pieces that need replacement add up fast... So I say keep the six! My little 200 seems to get me around town just fine, but I don't drive old cars hard because I cringe at the thought of a crash in those. But thats just me...

jonward786 08-13-2008 12:07 AM

owning a mustang demands a V8 in my opinion. if you want a V6 go drive your wife's Camry

David09sp 08-13-2008 01:36 AM

I would say pre-67 lines of the Mustang could respectfully have a I6 or V6. Although post 67 the car deserves a V8, hell a 289 still gets some decent fuel economy. As far as value, no. Although swap the engine and keep the old just in case.

Prepare for more money spent then expected. :-)

Waffles 08-13-2008 08:43 AM

Hey BSR, it was good to meet you on sunday. Car looks great.

Do the swap. If your car was some rare piece of history and only 3 were made, I'd tell you to reconsider... but a 69 IL6, while fuel efficient, is never going to perform the way you'll WANT it to...

if anything, you'll increase the value of your car by swapping it to an 8. There are alot of us that have done 6 to 8 swaps heres, and between me, jmd, 66jamestang and a few others, I'm sure you can get whatever answers you'd need.

a windsor is a hell of a powerplant if stock, let alone if you have some fun with a build.

keep us updated, and u got my phone # now so don't hesitate to use it.

Eric

Adrenolin 08-13-2008 09:19 AM

As a personal opinion I'd say doing the swap would definitely increase the value of the car. If you decide to sell it down the road you'd get more for it with a big 351w V8 then the I6.

The 351w will also make the car much more fun and responsive to drive. It should still get decent mileage depending on how you drive it. Keeping your foot out of it will help a lot. :-)

We're replacing the original 289 from our 67 with a 351w and I'm thinking of installing a BIG RED LED in the dash to blink $$$ in her face whenever she kicks it LOL.