Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Rear leaf spring suggestions for 1966 GT fastback

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 10:50 AM
Beaker39
1st Gear Member

Default Rear leaf spring suggestions for 1966 GT fastback

Hi,

I am replacing what seems to be stock leaf springs on my GT. Mustang Plus has has Grab-A-Track, what I hear is a company brand. They offer a GT leaf spring that is slightly stiffer than stock and special order stock GT. Any suggestions of which is better? Any other brands I might look at? I am going to use this strictly as a street car.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:24 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Are you looking for more of a comfy ride, or better handling? Many people with street driven cars are happy with GT 4-leafs. For a firmer ride, you can up to their stiffer springs or even go to a 4.5 leaf. Keep in mind, the stiffer the springs, the worse your ride quality is going to be.

I recently put 1" drop 4.5 leaf springs on my '67fb (from M+) along with Edelbrock IAS shocks. I love them, but they are definitely firm. I think without the Edelbrocks (I had Gas-A-Justs before), they'd probably be too stiff.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:33 AM
Beaker39
1st Gear Member

Well I guess a comfy ride would be best, but just how stiff are Grab-A-Track GT's? Is it better to go with their special order GT stock?
Old 10-07-2008, 03:56 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

How smooth are your roads there?
Old 10-07-2008, 07:33 PM
Beaker39
1st Gear Member

Roads here are not too bad. Some pot holes. I just don't want a jarring ride. It also appears that Mustangs Unlimited says the GT performance Grab-A-Tracks lower the car 1". Mustangs Plus.....the supplier of these springs, state that they are stock height.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:50 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Really....interesting. I was under the impression they offered both stock and 1" drop heights. Granted, stock GT springs are already about 1/2" lower than non-GT's.

If ride quality is your primary concern, and you want to retain the stock ride height, stick with stock GT springs. I'd recommend getting them from either NPD or Glazier's Mustang Barn. Both source leaf springs from OE suppliers, so they're guaranteed to get you the correct ride height. That's been a recurring problem from some aftermarket suppliers.

I don't think the Grab-A-Trak 4-leafs will be jarring, especially if you have smoother shocks (Edelbrock IAS or KYB GR-2), but you'll have to decide if you're willing to sacrifice that small bit of ride comfort.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:07 AM
retro77
2nd Gear Member

The lowering depends on what eye you get in it. There will be 3 choices, one is stock, one is a little drop and one is a lot of drop.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:34 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Not entirely, it doesn't. Springs have a certain arch to them. By changing the arch, you change the ride height. Yes, you can further affect ride height by switching to a mid-eye (what I'm using) or reverse-eye design, but you can't guarantee you're going to get the proper ride height just because you get a standard-eye leaf spring. I've seen many, many cars that sit improperly in the rear because the replacement leaf springs don't match OE specs.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:11 AM
mushaus
1st Gear Member

I tried some Grab-A-Track mid-eye 4 leaf and my car sat too high. When I took them back the guy said they've had some problems with consistency in the spring rates.

I have 16" 205 55 tires (approx 1/4" taller than stock) and the center of the wheel well measured 27". It definately was not a 1" drop from stock height on my 66.

The Grab-A-Tracks are listed for 65-73. Maybe later year models, which are heavier cars, will sit lower or maybe I got a bad pair. I just put the old ones back on for now.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:37 PM
palerider
4th Gear Member

I have 4 1/2 standard eye and KYB GR-2 based on recommendation from others and very happy with ride quality. Not too stiff but with a couple back passengers no bottoming out.

Quick Reply: Rear leaf spring suggestions for 1966 GT fastback